Isotropix Forums

How should I optimize a Physical scene with a lot of lights

Clarisse related tips and tricks

How should I optimize a Physical scene with a lot of lights

Unread postby Rvdn » Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am

Hello,

I'm actually working on a night scene with a lot of cars scattered on a wet road. Since I created the lights of each car, rendering time are obviously huge, since there is almost a thousand of physical spot lights lighting a reflective road. I tried to turn the settings down for all the lights, lowering the samples, the texture resolution of the lights (I plugged gradients in my lights) etc, but it doesn't seem to optimize anything.
How should I work on such a scene, (I'm kind of new with Clarisse and with such big scenes). What are the things I'm missing ?

Is there for example, a way to lower the setting of lights that are far from the camera ? What kind of tricks can help me in this situation ?

Thanks for the help
Thomas.
Rvdn

Re: How should I optimize a Physical scene with a lot of lig

Unread postby FilipO » Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 pm

I had similar problems, many lights slow down alot, did not find a solution, in my case i could seperate the scene a bit int odifferenr renderlayers and hide lights that did not contribute to the look that much, but from what i understand in 3.5 there will be a light ray threshold that cuts away rays that does not att to the overall image, that should speed up alot i hope
FilipO

Unread postby FilipO » Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 pm

V-Ray has this https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.php/r ... ve-lights/

Not sure if this adaptive/Probabilistic lights could find its way into clarisse render engine?
FilipO

Unread postby isoyann » Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am

Hi,

With thousands of lights, currently, you'll probably get a better speed by using luminous geometry instead of spotlights.. Optimizations are coming in the 3.5 that help a lot in this situation : manual fallof control, and low light threshold. Other techniques (similar to probabilistic lighting) to optimize this will come later on.

Thanks,

Yann
isoyann

Return to Tips and Tricks