Isotropix Forums

Using texture view - tips please

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Using texture view - tips please

Unread postby atnreg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi!
(I tried to find posts about his but the search engine does not allow to search for multi-word phrases so it showed all texture and view highlights and there was no answer to my question there)

Texture View is great for viewing the texture maps but why it shows either all white or all black for many other textures? :o
If I create an occlusion and double click it to open it in texture view, it is all black or all white, depending on my 'invert' setting. And still the actual effect on the scene shows it has black and white areas. Why?
The same applies to many other textures as well but not all procedurals, for example checker and fractal noise show correctly. And then, Blur is all black :o

So please can somebody explain how can I see occlusion, blur and other calculated textures as preview? And 'heavy' use of Texture View in general, I could not find anything useful about it in the manual.
For example when I use blur to modify occlusion, the result works but I would like to see the preview of the result before using it to modify some complex or large displacement. How can I do that? If I double-click the Blur, it is all black.

Thank you!

Antti
Intel i7(6-core),32GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX690 (2GPU)+GTX Titan Black,Win10Pro 64bit
Clarisse 3.5RC2,Blender,(3D-Coat,ZBrush,Lightwave+Octane etc.)
Clarisse since 2016-09-29, Python since 2016-11-10 (Clarisse Py 2017-01-04)
I do all 3D stuff for fun, no business
atnreg

Re: Using texture view - tips please

Unread postby germanc » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I don't know if it's the intended behaviour, but with occlusion for example, you get a preview if you manually add your occluding objects (via selection or group).
Attachments
occ_tex_view_object.jpeg
using an object in "Occluders"
occ_tex_view_group.jpeg
using a group in "Occluders"
occ_tex_view_uselayer3d.jpeg
using "use layer 3d" in "Occluders"
germanc

Unread postby atnreg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank you very much for fast reply :)

The problem is that I (and a friend of mine) have never been able to get anything else than the all white (or black with invert) from occlusion in Texture View :o

Is there some option that need to be used in Texture View (or somewhere else) to get this to work?
Or can this be platform thing? I use Windows, you seem to use some other?

Could you please post some simple test project that works in your Clarissee, I could test it to make sure I have all settings correct?
Just one polygrid, one cube as occlusion, as simple as possible :)

Anyway, thank you for the 'accidental' tip for using Scatterer as occluder, I didn't know that was possible :mrgreen:

Thank you!

Antti
atnreg

Unread postby David_A » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Antti, I guess that it is because when you add an object as occluder, you are feeding the Texture View widget with something with coordinates. Occlusion works with geometry (i.e. if the rays hit nothing, there is no return value, so we need geometry). As soon as you feed geometry, there is something to display in the Texture View. I dont know if I am making sense? It would be similar to try to display a Contrast node without feeding it with something..
It is not the same with, say, a Texture Map node, or a Noise or other nodes that can feed coordinates readable by the Texture View. Hope that helps!
David_A

Unread postby atnreg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm

David_A wrote:Antti, I guess that it is because when you add an object as occluder, you are feeding the Texture View widget with something with coordinates. Occlusion works with geometry (i.e. if the rays hit nothing, there is no return value, so we need geometry). As soon as you feed geometry, there is something to display in the Texture View. I dont know if I am making sense? It would be similar to try to display a Contrast node without feeding it with something..
It is not the same with, say, a Texture Map node, or a Noise or other nodes that can feed coordinates readable by the Texture View. Hope that helps!

Well, I AM feeding it the occluders in the Occlusion texture and as it can use the Occlusion in render, it shows it works (reacting to surface nearby). Shouldn't the Texture View just display what a node 'sees'? If not then we desperately need such widget :)
And in addition 'germanc' obviously got it to work so it must be something else :O
Could it be that using Scatterer as occluder (or part of a group) is somehow different in that matter?

Antti
atnreg

Unread postby atnreg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Anyone? Isotropix?
atnreg

Unread postby sam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Antti,

Well I guess that you noticed that we do track the posts on our forums so no need to call for us every time we don't answer right away. :) We also answer to posts according to the priority of the issue. Here the matter is actually super trivial and I kindly invite you to read: http://clarissewiki.com/3.5/understanding_objects.html

This is fundamental otherwise you can get lost in Clarisse and you won't understand what's going on. When you master these basics then everything becomes clear in Clarisse.

In your example when you select a Occlusion texture node it's completely normal that the Texture View is displaying either black or white. Ask yourself the question: How the Texture View can guess the scene context? The node is completed isolated and has no direct connection to the scene context. In fact, the scene context is given at the 3D Layer level which is passed on to the geometries during rendering, then to the materials then to the textures. The Texture View has only the knowledge of an occlusion node and this node be can use in many different scene contexts.

Now the reason why you see something when you specify a group of occluders is that you SPECIFIED EXPLICITLY a group of occluders. Otherwise the attribute states "Use Layer 3D" and uses IMPLICITLY the scene context used during rendering. So which Layer 3d the Texture View should give to the occlusion if not set somehow upstream?

Do you understand what I mean?

Same for a blur node. If you select an orphan blur node, you get the result of an orphan blur node => BLACK. If you connect an image to the blur node then you get something else...

Cheers,
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby atnreg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes I understand the idea :)

But there must have been something wrong with that project I tried it in because now when I tried it simply with polygrid and cylinder, it works as expected :o
I always use objects/group as occluders so that cannot be the reason, anyway now I know how to make it to work so everything is fine :)

Thanks!

Antti
atnreg

Return to General Discussion