Isotropix Forums

Built in Denoiser

So you'd like something that's not there? Just tell us what, we'll see what we can do.

Built in Denoiser

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm

I know it's a lot to ask, but it would be nice to have an advanced de-noising algorithm built-in, similar to something that RenderMan for Maya has. Based on this Disney research:

https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/pathspace-decomposition/

Greetings,
Janos
janoshunyadi

Re: Built in Denoiser

Unread postby isoyann » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:30 am

Hi,

Do you have successful experiences with those de-noisers? Currently we prefer to focus on the renderer's speed rather than filter the noise, but we are open to export any data (custom aovs) required by third parties de-noisers.

Thanks
isoyann

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:51 pm

We are testing Altus Innobright. Right now it gives us great results. Although a built in one would be much appreciated. To get a clean image (but not noise free) we would use 64 samples what takes around roughly 20 min - 1 hour/frame. As for de-noising with renders using 4 to 16 samples, on our farm we could experience a speed up to 3x-4x at least. Of course the de-noising is done at a separate stage not at render time, so it usually adds an extra 2 to 4 minute extra/frame for a full HD image on a low end prosumer GPU (Quadro M2000).

Right now the World Position pass is output as a layer, not as an AOV. Btw. Is there a specific speed toll exporting AOVs trough layers instead of trough the AOV editor ?
janoshunyadi

Unread postby sam » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi,

I personally tend to think that developing an in-house denoising solution would be a waste of time. Even if we manage to create something cool, we would likely never spend the same amount of resources than a 3rd party providing such solution at the heart of its business model.

So why spending time on something that would likely be ultimately inferior to existing dedicated solutions? As I user I would personally favor using the best solution anyway and I don't think I'm an exception... Moreover, a real serious denoiser works on sequences and not on still frames. This means that the tool should be an external solution anyway working on final sequences...

To answer to your question regarding AOVs, there's not cost of exporting AOVs whereas they are through the 3D layer or at the material level. The only difference comes to the fact that with AOV Stores you can eventually export a complex subgraph which can be costly to evaluate if not directly part of the material subgraph.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby tom_tm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi,
optimizing render times is always great :-)
I also tried the Altus Denoiser and it's really good. But does anyone know how to export the required passes out of
Clarisse. I have don't know how to get the Albedo Pass.
An disadvantage of Altus is the fact, that you have to render all twice with a different noise seed.

Greets Tom
Attachments
altus.jpg
tom_tm

Unread postby daaims » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi,

Albedo is diffuse K.

Cheers ;)
daaims

Unread postby tom_tm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 pm

ahh, thanks, good to know :-)
tom_tm

Unread postby tom_tm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:42 am

while we talk about Altus, they just released a new Version
https://support.innobright.com/kb/faq.php?id=18
tom_tm

Unread postby tom_tm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm

just quick question, and what is the visibility AOV? Innobright itself think it's not available in Clarisse...
maybe someone knows :-)
tom_tm

Unread postby isoyann » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:41 am

Hi,

The visibility AOV is how the geometry is visible to the lights (like a sahdow pass). It is equivalent to the pbr_diffuse_reflection_i AOV . Depending on how you setup altus, it expect a regular one or inverted (if Altus is set to Arnold mode, for exemple, it works for Clarisse).

Thanks,

Yann
isoyann

Next

Return to Feature Requests