Isotropix Forums

Cell Shading

Post your WIP image/animations here

Cell Shading

Unread postby daaims » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,

Here is a cell shading test. Was made with such a pleasure with Clarisse workflow.
Yeah, we can make cartoon too in clarisse :mrgreen:

Cell_Shading_HD_comp.jpg

Cheers ;)
daaims

Re: Cell Shading

Unread postby anemoff » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 am

Cool! :D
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby jproccia » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

Hi daaims,

it looks great, good job!
I'm curious about the material setup, do you mind sharing it?

Cheers,
Jean-Patrick Roccia
jproccia

Unread postby ambassador1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 am

Looking forward to a toon edge outline shader one day, at the moment its just inner outer or stepped incidence. MR's toon edge is a great example. Nice to see more NPR work here.
ambassador1

Unread postby daaims » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:12 am

Hi,

Of course i can share it :
CellShadingNetwork.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have two lights in my scene. One pure red (key) and the other one pure green (rim). In the shading network i use lambert textures node to catch the direction of those two lights, then i extract green and red separatly with reorder node and use those outputs in two gradient node in input mode. Then i can shape a mask in the gradient with step interpolation.

Gradient.jpg
Gradient.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 1425 times

So far, i defined two mask, one from the key light and the other one from the rim. I can color them with blend nodes.
For the outline, i use an incidence in a gradient in step mode multiplied by a rescaled curvature to add some randomness.
Finally i multiply all this by a camera projection of a cellular noise to add those filigramme paper dots (for the skin only)

Cheers ;)

PS : Let's play a game, try to do your own and if you don't reach your goal i will share my scene :P
daaims

Unread postby julien » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 am

Hi,
Thanks for sharing it!
I'm really curious about an icon on the toolbar, could you explain its purpose?:D
Attachments
CellShadingNetwork.jpg
CellShadingNetwork.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
julien

Unread postby daaims » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Oh, that ?...

Just another refreshing eye exercise for tired computer users :mrgreen:

Cheers !
daaims

Unread postby ambassador1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm

You may have been able to smooth out the lambertian results (node blur) to get less of a cg looking toon shading, along with normal adjustment within the shading for more pleasing line flow, just an idea. I have clarisse npr stuff, just cant show it or talk about it, hahaha.
ambassador1

Unread postby daaims » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Ambassador, i don't get what you're telling about. Have you a picture to show what you mean ?

Chers ;)
daaims

Unread postby ambassador1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:11 pm

For example, in your current legacy setup, placing a blur after the lambert may soften results of the shapes, then resulting in different line results after the gradients (to step) node, further variation can be added by any node input with value (e.g. noise) being input into the lambert normal input. These are just additional ways to vary the line results, since many times depending on model smoothness or flow it results in a cg cell shaded look vs traditional cell shaded look, which is usually more pleasing with natural line flow. Just thoughts, I prefer the half 3d half 2d/comp npr workflow myself. As for clarisse npr stuff, nope cant show any of that, maybe in a year or two.

I had a moment to use a stock modo head model for a quick example, very left, lambert and gradient, middle has a blur between the lambert and gradient which varies detail, right is the same as the middle, but an occlusion with direction going into the lambert normal to give more shading to the side of the face. Just examples, if your just working with a single surface or shader you may not run into instances where you need to vary up cell definition beyond the light direction. This is more for per shader tweaking.
Attachments
1.jpg
Last edited by ambassador1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ambassador1

Next

Return to Work In Progress