Isotropix Forums

Scene is slow with alot of textures

Clarisse related tips and tricks

Scene is slow with alot of textures

Unread postby danf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey folks,

I'm building our first production scene, and all our assets that were nice and interactive as surfacing turntables are quite slow once loaded into a lighting scene.

The scene consists of 16 alembic caches, primitive count is around 300,000 primitives, viewing through an Image with 720p, 50% res multiplier, physical materials on all geo, basic lighting setup with environment and directional light, shading quality 0. Our machines very powerful - 128gb ram, ssd drives, 56 cores. Looking at the system monitor, I can see the cpu usage is very high, memory usage is tiny, network doesn't seem hit too hard.

We are making extensive use of udims and are using the streamed texture maps to load them. I discovered this thread from 2014 which seems to report similar issues:

viewtopic.php?p=1926,

That topic suggested increasing the stream texture cache number, as well as converting the tifs we export from Mari using the maketx binary.

Just curious if converting with maketx is still good advice in 2017? I just tried running it, but got this error:

$ maketx -help
maketx: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenImageIO.so.1.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do we need our own build of OIIO for this to work?

What kind of performance impact is expected for tifs that were not converted with maketx? Is there something we could be doing at the Mari export that would help?

cheers,
Daniel
danf

Re: Scene is slow with alot of textures

Unread postby daaims » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

danf wrote:Just curious if converting with maketx is still good advice in 2017?

I will say "Yes". Especially for streamed textures. The more maps are small, the more your textures cache will be fill up quickly.
Depending if you gain some Mb when converting your maps...

Cheers ;)
daaims

Unread postby danf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

I should add, setting the stream texture cache size seems to make a big improvement, the default setting of 4gb seemed to result in the cache thrashing, Clarisse would sit there for ages and really struggle. Clarisse was using 4.6gb of ram at this point.

I set it to crazy a very value (80gb - since we were only using 4.6gb out of 128), and after doing that, clarisse took up 10gb of ram, and seemed to cache effectively - after a little wait, the scene was interactive.
danf

Unread postby danf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Cheers daaims, I will investigate building OIIO and pursue that path,

cheers,
Dan
danf

Unread postby anemoff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm

danf wrote:Just curious if converting with maketx is still good advice in 2017? I just tried running it, but got this error:

$ maketx -help
maketx: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenImageIO.so.1.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do we need our own build of OIIO for this to work?

Hi Daniel,

Using tx files is recommended for streamed textures.

The tool maketx is actually bundled with Clarisse, so you don't need to build OpenImageIO on your own.
The maketx executable is located in the same place as the Clarisse executable ("clarisse_install_path/bin/linux64" replace clarisse_install_path with the path where Clarisse is installed).

To make it work, you need to add the Clarisse executable path to the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

Code: Select all
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="clarisse_install_path/bin/linux64"

Let us know if it worked.

Regards,
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Return to Tips and Tricks