Isotropix Forums

The problem with the shader name lost after importing the AB

Clarisse related tips and tricks

The problem with the shader name lost after importing the AB

Unread postby chenlei » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am

Why in the maya there shader name, but the introduction of clarisse silly name has become a default, there are several models are so, can not be convenient to do the shader layout.
Attachments
QQ图片20170508171536.png
QQ图片20170508171529.png
chenlei

Re: The problem with the shader name lost after importing th

Unread postby isoyann » Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

Hi,

Clarisse just read the shading group name written in the abc file. If it is set to "default", it means there is no shading group names inside your alembic file.

Thanks!
isoyann

Unread postby daaims » Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 am

Hi,

It seems that alembic don't export shading group when you set a material at object level in maya(obj export does). But it does when you assign materials at polygons level. So if you want just one "named" shading group for an object, select all polygons of your object, assign a material, and rename the created shading group.

Cheers ;)
daaims

Unread postby chenlei » Wed May 10, 2017 5:24 am

Thank you for the answer, I may not express clearly, I made a simple map, as shown below, I am in the maya shader name, derived ABC, into the Clarisse Lane is not the name of the shader, but There are many models into the default name, and some models of the shader name and maya Lane, why is this, where I only show one of the models, there are many models of the shader name has become How do i get the shader name of the exported model consistent with Clarisse?
Attachments
QQ图片20170508171529.png
chenlei

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 am

For objects that do not have Face Sets, the default Maya Alembic exporter does not exports shading groups. It's a known bug (We have reported it to AD and they have confirmed it. It's been in Maya for years), they should fix it in the next release. For the meantime you can use Exocortex. With that it works perfectly.
janoshunyadi

Unread postby chenlei » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you very much for your answer
chenlei

Unread postby mdkai » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

Sorry to bring this up again, but the bug still persists, also adding shaders on the poly level is quite uncommon to do in maya (thats what shading groups are actually used for)
It does work better in 3dsmax where assigning IDs per face and Multimats is more common.

Big problem now is that Exocortex stopped the compiled version on all plattforms.
So for a maya 2017 - 64 bit Linux version there is nothing.

So that means either compile it yourself (which is quite some effort) or use a script to rename either all mesh parts according to the material groups, or add a custom attribute into the abc file.

Does someone know a better way for this ? Cause it pretty frustrating to get the essential shading group info into clarisse...
mdkai

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 pm

janoshunyadi

Unread postby mdkai » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Thank you Janoshunyadi, i appreciate that , unfortunately the build is not working with the centos 7 installation we have.
Is there another way to force the abc exporter to keep the shading groups and not referring to all of them as "default" ?

I ask of this because i would like bring the pipeline from Maya/Arnold to Maya/Houdin/Clarisse, but since time is very short we have not the manpower to compile the Exocortex ourself.

Seems the only workaround is again to create a mel or python script that applies all shader per face before exporting as ABC...
mdkai

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 am

Of course it's not working on Centos because it is for Windows :D You could ask the Exocortex guys to build you a Linux version.
janoshunyadi

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks