Isotropix Forums

Shading layers limitations

Clarisse related tips and tricks

Shading layers limitations

Unread postby speculart » Fri May 26, 2017 3:49 am

I am trying to get my head around the extent shading layers can be used and would love some tips from experienced users.
Is it possible to have one material and to swap out textures through rules..ie one material and many diffuse textures.
If so...Would that be driven by shading variables?
Is there any constructive examples of these variables in use..the documentation seems conceptual rather than practical.
speculart

Re: Shading layers limitations

Unread postby arnaud » Mon May 29, 2017 11:00 am

Hello Speculart,

Sorry for our late reply.
Your request has been sent to our technical artists.
They're doing their best to get back to you ASASP.

Cheers.
Arnaud

Isotropix
RnD & Support Manager
arnaud

Unread postby sam » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

Hi there,

Shading variables require a special license as it's not a standard feature of Clarisse iFX. Please contact us if you need more information about how to enable them.

Shading variables allow you to define variable at Shading Layer level or at Scene Object level. These variables can have a value defining a color, a path (to a texture for example)...

The idea behind them is to bind a shading variable to an attribute for which the value will be contextually resolved during rendering. This is very useful to create generic material templates driven by shading variables (for texture path or more)

I'm surprised you find the documentation conceptual. Yes, there isn't any tutorial but the whole section seems to be pretty self explanatory. http://clarissewiki.com/daedalus-r1/wor ... ables.html

Could you please tell me what information is missing there so we can improve the documentation?

Thanks,
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby speculart » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:41 am

Ahah. Thank for the link. I was looking in the wrong documentation perhaps. :roll:

Why would this function not be included in the 3.5 release? Even as a novice user looking into what this program can do, it seems pretty obvious that duplicating shaders for many objects will rapidly get unwieldy and expensive...and the functionality is already there..why hold off?

I will get it enabled for sure.
Thanks Sam
speculart

Unread postby jandersunstar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:45 pm

If you only want ONE shader but different textures, you can do that with a Switch, an instance color and an utility node using the Vertex ID.

Here is an example:
crowd.jpg

Settings:
settings.jpg

Just connect that switch into your Diffuse.

This only works if you are using the scatter.

Cheers,
-Luis
jandersunstar

Unread postby jandersunstar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Here is a Tip for randomize different geometry in your scatter.

For this example you will need to have all the cloth in your character at the same time, and you will control which will show using a clip_map.

crowdDifGeo.jpg

You need to make another UV Slot to your geomtery (Inside Maya in my example). Set the UVs of your first geometry into the first square 0.0, then the next geometry into the next one, 0.1, etc.

GeometryRandom.jpg

Then in Clarisse you also use a Switch, instance color and utility node, just like you did for the diffuse texture, but now you will connect this Switch into the clip map of all your geometry. You create one for your bottom cloth, another for the top, another for the shoes, etc.

You will need to create several textues in photoshop with a white square just covering the UVs, one for the 0.1, another for the 0.2, etc. When you load this new texture make sure to select the second uv slot.

uvslot.jpg

With this technique you can easily remove any type of cloth you don't want just by clicking in the view (eye) icon of the switch node.
jandersunstar

Unread postby speculart » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:34 am

Hey Jandersunstar!
Thats brilliant! Thanks for the tip and taking the time to make those clear images. Incredibly useful.
speculart

Unread postby tom_tm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm

very useful, thanks for sharing!
tom_tm

Return to Tips and Tricks