Isotropix Forums

Proper way to connect texture maps?

Clarisse related tips and tricks

Proper way to connect texture maps?

Unread postby adamkuczek » Tue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to properly hook up all maps coming from websites like poliigon.com or rd-textures, where textures conveniently come in several maps. After some experiments and checking other threads on the forum regarding PBR, I think I'm close but if anyone could verify what to fix, I'd appreciate. 'Add', 'Rescale' and 'Invert' nodes are all with default settings.

current.PNG

Also, a couple questions:

2) How to properly connect AO map to enhance the occluded shadows? I tried channeling it through 'Multiply' node, (figured it works like this in Photoshop so why not here), but it just made everything black. Playing with settings didn't really help.

3) How to control intensity of Normal Map? It seems to work fine by default but what if it needs to be weaker/stronger? Does it need another node?

Thank a lot in advance :)

- Adam
www.ak-art.net
adamkuczek

Re: Proper way to connect texture maps?

Unread postby gjennings » Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 am

Hi,

I'd have to try it out again, but from what I remember, the glossy map shoud be hooked up to the specular, and the roughness map to the specular roughness. I'll try and get back to you by EOD with a small project for you to try it out.

2) If you want to use AO, multiply it with your diffuse ---- remember that any black and white image needs to be switched to "Force Luminance", under the "Single Channel File Behavior" attribute of the Map File.

3)To control the intensity of the normal map, simply tweak the "Normal Input" slider on the Standard Mtl

Cheers,
Greg
gjennings

Unread postby mdkai » Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 am

Also make sure to check the mix of shaders ..

You try to blend-mix a regular standard shader and the specular lobe shader which will possibly result in wrong values regarding reflection (unless you deactivate the specular lobes 1 and 2 in the standard shader)
Standard shader does what most refer to as the uber shader, where all lobes (diffuse, reflection, refraction and emission) for most needs are balanced thus being physically correct.
The reflection shader is usually used for individual need of just one or more specific lobes (vs all in the standard shader) or to blend some lobes into a new shadermix.

So to mix them together can get you wrong results, as this leads to break the physical correct light calculation.
Maybe you share the project you try to build or what the result should look like ?

Cheers
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Unread postby adamkuczek » Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks guys :)

gjennings: Got it on the Normal Map. Regarding Multiply, is that the way?

multiply.JPG

And a small project would be awesome, I appreciate. I've seen a couple screenshots but it's hard to guess the settings of particular nodes.

mdkai: Thanks a lot. So, you mean to use e.g. Diffuse and Reflection connected to Blend (instead of Standard and Reflection)?

Project wise, right now I'm just trying to figure out the correct structure since I want to build a small library of shaders I can reference whenever I need. Right now, this particular setup results with this:

current.JPG

Cheers,
Adam
www.ak-art.net
adamkuczek

Unread postby gjennings » Wed May 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi,

yes AO setup is correct - you could remap the AO to play with the intensity, or use a blend instead of the multiply (one less node..)
Regarding your question to mdkai, just use a Standard shader, no need for a blend.

Cheers.
Greg
gjennings

Unread postby adamkuczek » Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Thank you. I changed material to just Standard one and connected the maps (although I'm just guessing with Hi-Gloss and I'm sure more nodes are necessary to make it look just right).

current2.JPG

current2b.JPG

Cheers,
Adam
www.ak-art.net
adamkuczek

Unread postby gjennings » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Adam,

I can't send you the project since the textures cannot be shared but here is my shader network. This is how I would do it, which doesn't mean you shouldn't try other options :)

Using Gloss and HiGloss in two separate spec lobes allows you to control their intensity differently and change the fresnel if needed.
I also recommend a mix of displacement and bump rather than Normals since Clarisse handles the displacement well and the results are more precise.

Capture.PNG

Let me know your thoughts,
Greg
gjennings

Unread postby mdkai » Wed May 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Greg is right and looks like you did it correct ;)

The maybe confusing part is that Clarisse supports two major ways of creating shaders:
1. Using the standart shader, which works for almost anything you require.
2. A shader based on one or multiple modular lobes, which you mix yourself ..

While 1 is quite the best way to go and have all physically correct , 2 allows for a complex setup (rarely) if needed. The approach requires more care as the result can quickly become physically inaccurate (power of exiting light from a surface must never be higher then the incoming value)

Also one thing that may helped a lot to understand Clarisse is that small hint in the help file:
All values in the material editor are used as vectors !. That means as for example, color can also be used as a float and requires no conversion.

I'm not sure what the HI-gloss map is suppose to be, as it is not a common prefix for texture channels... so to use it either use it as addition or as a mask .
EDIT:
After Greg's post i understand that it is acting as the additional map to control the glimmering effect of small glass-like elements inside stones ..
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Unread postby adamkuczek » Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 pm

gjennings: Thank you for the setup, it seems to work although textures appear very 'dry', even with Specualrity 1 and 2 set to 100%.

current3.JPG

If I want to make it look more wet, for example like after a rain, do I play with Fresnel? Setting it to Metallic seems to work but that's probably not the right way to do it :)

Also, how to control intensity of AO with Blend? Lowering Opacity fades both, AO and Color, to black, lowering Blending Mix seems to fade both to white. Do I change input colors?

blend.JPG
blend.JPG (25.2 KiB) Viewed 5390 times

mdkai: Yeah, seems I will just stick to Standard, I'm not much of a mathematician :)

Cheers,
Adam
www.ak-art.net
adamkuczek

Unread postby gjennings » Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Hey Adam,

try a more glancing angle, looking towards your light source and you should see a difference.
In addition, changing the IOR (try 1.6 for example ) will also affect your specular.

For adjusting your Blend, don't use the Opacity but the Mix instead.
AO would be in input 1, the Diffuse Color in input 2.

Cheers,
Greg
gjennings

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks