Isotropix Forums

rendering trees

Clarisse related tips and tricks

rendering trees

Unread postby sergeisarichev4 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:56 am

Hi,

im still doing lots of testing with clarisse getting to know it bit by bit,

if i try to render a 4k frame with lots of scattered trees in it the render times are very very long.

i import speedtree models with the old script (i dont re scatter leaves). opacity is set through the clip mask.

the tracer is set to 64 or 128 spp
mat settings at 256
light/ibl at 128/512

the render takes 1-2hours per frame easy. which is extremely long for me. for a mid ground/BG elements
if i have a frame with the trees in the FG its 3-4hours minimum.
if i reduce any of the settings i get a very undefined/grainy image (elements smaller than pixel issue i guess?)

system wise, its the same on either a i7-6900k or a xeon 1650 v4 with 64gig ram and so on,

Any suggestions, am i missing something? similar ,tree heavy, shot takes much less in maya/vray or octane

Cheers,
Sergei
sergeisarichev4

Re: rendering trees

Unread postby Kramon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:07 pm

that is crazy high... settings i would say.. use 128 samples at enviro. if u have some really big shadows like building is droping big shdow over terrain... bump to 256... or add a light that only does diffiuse and no shadows and set it to some really really low value.... that way u will be able to stay on 64-128 samples...

next materials.. samples.. i would start at 32 samples and x1 on all stuff... check your indirect passes... keep in mind that they don't have to be perfectly clean.. to give u clean render.... i usually work like 32 as base and x2 or x3 for reflections.. if needed.

also i recommand to use denoisers in post. As... Almost all render engines get nice image very quickly and then to make it super clean... u need to spend way more time sadly... and denoisers save huge amount of time.. with right denoiser u can save 75% of render time...

keep in mind that if u have for example 16 samples.. and u want to reduce noise by 50% u need to multiple samples by x2.
Kramon

Unread postby sergeisarichev4 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:56 pm

the reason i keep tracer samples high is because otherwise the trees are very pixelated. anything bellow 64 is not usable, when the trees are mid-back ground
sergeisarichev4

Unread postby Kramon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 pm

can u show some screns of whole monitor? u sure u have zoom at 100% ? and sampling quality at 100% and full resolution at 1/1?
Attachments
Zrzut ekranu z 2019-09-02 18-19-34.png
Kramon

Unread postby jandersunstar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Here are my tips with speedtree:

Disconnect all the nodes that are connected into the opacity in the shader.
1_speedtree_opacity_v2.png

Then all the opacity maps change the values of Interpolation Mode to Nearest Neighbor and Mipmap Mode to None.
2_speedtree_opacity_map_settings.png
2_speedtree_opacity_map_settings.png (28.8 KiB) Viewed 3253 times

Hope this help improve the speed of render.
jandersunstar

Unread postby sergeisarichev4 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 am

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it
i did do all the opacity maps as clip masks already. i think in terms of the render quality i probably might have had the resolution set to 50% :)
sergeisarichev4

Return to Tips and Tricks