Isotropix Forums

Fur Maya Yeti Clarisse Workflow

Fur Maya Yeti Clarisse Workflow

Unread postby FilipO » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Hello I have some questions about fur workflow in Clarisse.

At our studio http://www.fido.se/ and our sister studio http://www.blackstudios.se/ we make a lot of animals and human characters most of them have fur that we make in Maya+Yeti and render in VRay, is there any way to render Yeti fur in Clarisse at the moment?

I know that you can export alembic guide curves and use the fur interpolator in Clarisse, and that might work for some type of fur/hair, but the Yeti graph has a lot of features and nodes that change the look of the final hair, the guide/groom curves we use are very sparse and mainly for direction or for longer hair they are used for simulation.

I tried to convert curves from the final Yeti graph as Maya curves and then exported them as alembic, but they will become so many that it is a very slow process that will use up a lot of diskspace and convert time, and Clarisse cloud not read so many Alembic curves at once etc.

So the best solution, if at all possible, would be if Clarisse can read the .fur files that Yeti export as its cache format, they are very small in size and basically is only a description recipe for how the curves should be generated in Memory at rendertime.

I don't know how much work isotropix has to do to make this possible or if also peregrine labs (creators of Yeti) has to write some code to make this happen.

We are looking into using Clarisse for our environment workflow, but if we can integrate characters with fur and render everything in one complete package like the amazing Clarisse that would be perfect. :)
FilipO

Re: Fur Maya Yeti Clarisse Workflow

Unread postby support_team » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 am

So the best solution, if at all possible, would be if Clarisse can read the .fur files that Yeti export as its cache format, they are very small in size and basically is only a description recipe for how the curves should be generated in Memory at rendertime.

I don't know how much work isotropix has to do to make this possible or if also peregrine labs (creators of Yeti) has to write some code to make this happen.

We have not planned to integrate such a file format / asset descriptor, and there is little chance that we could. Yeti being a plugin for Maya, sold by Peregrine, the only way to have their fur system in Clarisse would be that Peregrine develop a plugin for Clarisse.

FilipO wrote:I tried to convert curves from the final Yeti graph as Maya curves and then exported them as alembic, but they will become so many that it is a very slow process that will use up a lot of diskspace and convert time, and Clarisse cloud not read so many Alembic curves at once etc.

I'm very surprised that Clarisse cannot handle your alembic exports. Do you get a crash ? is it slow ?
Isotropix
Support Team
support_team

Unread postby sam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:31 pm

I imagine the ABC exporter wrongly exports each curve as a single item instead of packing it in a single curve mesh. Am I right?
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby FilipO » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Yes that is right Sam, do you know how to take multiple curves and combine them into one mesh, without connecting them all in one long continous curve, in maya or houdini?

/F
FilipO

Unread postby support_team » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:33 pm

szmatefy kindly provided the solution: please read the last post from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=353&start=10
Isotropix
Support Team
support_team

Unread postby mdkai » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 am

Just to update this thread
Yeti 2.2 now ships with direct support for Clarisse 3.5

Yeti ships with a Clarisse module that allows hair and mesh output from evaluated graphs to be rendered from within Clarisse. You will need to use the -module_path command line parameter for Clarisse to specify an additional search path for it’s modules, be sure to include Clarisse’s own path in this list first and then the path to Yeti’s module separated by a comma.

Did not test it yet though...
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Return to Feature Requests Archives