Isotropix Forums

Lookdev Containers in the Material Editor

Lookdev Containers in the Material Editor

Unread postby ccidrais » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 am

Hi

I'd really like to see Lookdev containers in the Material Editor ( like the Maya Hypershade Containers or Houdini Digital Assets):

Essentially collapsing a group of shading nodes into a container and exposing only a few custom attributes.

Particularly in large companies where Lookdev and Lighting may be in separate departments, It's great to provide limited custom control to lighters without lighters necessarily having the ability to "break" the lookdev or having to dig too much ( and in sometimes having to reverse engineer shading networks ) to understand what's going on and address quick notes that come up in Lighting.

Containers would be a very nice way to provide high level control and also to better organize sections of complex shading networks.

Thanks
ccidrais

Re: Lookdev Containers in the Material Editor

Unread postby julien » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 am

Hi,
Thanks for your message, it's a good idea and we can let you know that it's already in our road-map :)
I have no ETA yet but we really want to do this.

Thanks,
have a good day!
julien

Unread postby gjennings » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm

An alternative until then is to lock off nodes or attributes to restrict/highlight specific attributes for lighters.
You can also contextualize the nodes you don't want lighters to access and only expose the ones they should modify.

Check out this quick scene I attached - hopefully it helps and will give you ideas.
I have locked all the nodes and only left control on the "Mix" attribute of the blend node.

Cheers !
Attachments
Lock_Material_Editor.project
(44.97 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
gjennings

Unread postby ccidrais » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you for both your messages - very helpful!
ccidrais

Return to Feature Requests Archives