Isotropix Forums

UI improvements

UI improvements

Unread postby agazelle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 am

Hi,

I am evaluating the Clarisse PLE version and these are the most frustrating things so far about the program:

1. Lack of customizable keyboard shortcuts. Two great UI examples are Modo and Final Cut Pro X both programs allow you to add a keyboard shortcut to virtual all commands in the program even commands nested in editor palettes.

2. Customizable contextual menus and palettes that can be accessed via a keyboard shortcut or a gesture. A good use for this would be for the attribute editor—imagine it as a customizable overlay that you could select the order and position of how parameters are displayed and when finished, the overlay disappears. No more scrolling of a long attribute or similar editor palette.

3.Tabbed layouts with keyboard shortcuts that allow you to easily switch between layouts.

4. Maximized window or editor views controlled by a keyboard shortcut

5. Nodal view enhancements— Autodesk's Toxik is a wonderful example of a nodal UI treatment that is transparent and very flexible.

The future of UI design should be very streamlined and flexible allowing a user to choose the level of complexity or simplicity to their working environment.

I am a Modo and Lightwave user and I think Clarisse would be a perfect fit to my pipeline. Please don't make the mistake of waiting for another version to add such important workflow efficiency features.

Thanks for listening!
André
agazelle

Re: UI improvements

Unread postby sam » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi,

1. You're absolutely right and this is obviously coming. Just remember, Clarisse has been developed actively for the last 4 years, (already!) but is still in 1.0. Even if I wish Clarisse already provided everything I have in mind for the next 3 versions, we have to put some priorities here. And those priorities are mainly driven by user-needs. So far, our customers preferred having features such as very fast displacements than user-customizable shortcuts. Ok, I admit, a lot of them use Maya and they're quite happy with Clarisse default shortcut layout. :)

2. I don't really see what you mean, could you please tell me more about it?

3. Tabbed layout is really cool and it would be quite consistent with Clarisse web browser style navigation.

4. Definitely underway!

5. There are many things that are currently being done on the Material Editor.

You really need to know something about our feature policy. We don't really hold particular features to our customers subscribing to our maintenance program. We release about two release per month (sometimes even more) with new features. For example, since last September we've probably released over 200 features (not counting bug fixes here ;) ). So No! you won't have to wait 2.0 to see most, if not all, features you're listing here.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby agazelle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Sam,

I have unsuccessfully tried to posted screen grabs of my Modo UI to illustrate my #2 feature request. This editor diplays the message "Could not upload attachment"

Basically Modo allows you to create custom floating palettes of editors that allow user feedback and once you are done editing the parameters you simply click outside of the palette and it disappears — thus providing you with more monitor real estate for you main window and a clutter free interface. Modo also allows you to specify the size of the palettes.

Palette sizing and custom order and arrangement of the parameters inside of that palette are areas that you guys could improve.

The Attributes editor would be greatly enhanced if the user had the ability to resize it to a horiz format and horizontally place the parameters of the palette so that at a glance you could see all the parameters without constant scrolling. This would enhance the drag and drop workflow from editor to editor. It would also allow better use of screen real estate for single monitor users.
agazelle

Unread postby gyltefors » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:28 am

Now, almost FOUR YEARS later, and Clarisse is still unusable due to lack of customizable shortcuts. To take one example, panning the viewport is IMPOSSIBLE using a standard MagicMouse 2 or a Wacom tablet.
gyltefors

Unread postby sam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:43 am

Hi there,

Yes Clarisse could benefit from customization shortcuts (some are via the initialization scripts) but Clarisse unusable? Don't you think you are pushing it a tiny bit too far?

As for Wacom support you just need to go to Clarisse Preferences panel: Edit > Preferences and go to User Interface tab and set Input Device to Force Tablet if Autodetect fails (probably due to driver issues).
Cheers
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby janoshunyadi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:43 am

On the same topic, regarding of shortcuts. It would be nice to stop the animation playback with the escape key (Like in Maya). Sometimes when its a heavy scene, its impossible to stop the playback with the UI buttons.
janoshunyadi

Unread postby gyltefors » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 am

Any update on the panning support for Mac users? At least for me, a 3D app that does not allow panning the viewport is fairly speaking "unusable". As far as I know, there is not a single Mac model that ships with a middle mouse button. It is like a buying a car, without a steering wheel. Sure, you can drive it, as long as the road does not turn. But, hmm...
gyltefors

Unread postby support_team » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi there,

Sorry no. As stated in the minimum specification requirements, Clarisse needs a 3 button mouse to operate properly.
https://www.isotropix.com/products/system-requirements
Isotropix
Support Team
support_team

Unread postby gyltefors » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:51 am

Hi,

Thank you for you quick reply. I understand that there are some people who like to use a three-button mouse. I bought one myself 30 years ago. An optical one. Before that I used a mechanical two button mouse, but dust tended to accumulate on the cylindrical metal rollers, so you had to clean it regularly. Back then, the three-button optical mouse was really the state-of-the-art. That was even before I bought my first CD-player. Though floppy disks were popular, and had replaced magnetic tape for data storage. Also, not long after I also bought my first VHS player. But now, I keep all that stuff in the closet, with all my retro stuff (which I am a great fan of). Though, there still times when I have to bring that stuff out. For example, the Japanese Ministry of Justice was asking me quite recently to submit an application on floppy disk. The Japanese bureaucracy can sometimes be a bit behind the times, and be a bit stubborn to change. And also a company called Isotropix just asked me to dig out my old optical mouse... Seriously, I don't use a mouse at all since a decade or so ago, as there are technologies that far surpass it. Not only is the piece of plastic taking up valuable desk space, but shuffling it around on the desk is also a good way to acquire carpal syndrom, especially if you are using computers daily, during long hours. So, even if I WOULD dig out the treasured old mouse, what happens the next time I encounter a hurdle with your software? "Please watch our video turorial... but, oh, we only provide it on VHS, so please buy a VHS deck!" No, but seriously, would every single issue I post get the response four year later: "No, we just classified that bug as a feature. Resolved!"
gyltefors

Unread postby sam » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi there,

Sorry if I sound too direct but what do you expect us to say? I mean SERIOUSLY??

What will be next? Complaints because Clarisse isn't using native macOS menus/buttons or touch gestures? Listen, Clarisse is a professional high end 3D application targeting VFX/Animation pros (which I can tell you use ALL 3 button mouses...)

The specs are pretty clear so there is no surprise.

Cheers,
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Next

Return to Feature Requests Archives