Isotropix Forums

Is it possible to access scattered instances color data?

Clarisse Scripting related topics

Re: Is it possible to access scattered instances color data?

Unread postby jboissinot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi Nicolas,

I finally had the chance to take a look at your project setup. I basically got confused with the evaluate_texture_vertices() ModuleGeometry argument as a particle container will return me a ModuleParticle but this is the one you seem to be using in your code, so thank you for confirming this.

Getting the particle container points texture color seems to be working fine with this method then, now since I actually get the material of the scatterer override_material attribute, I would just need to get the instance color node of the material so that I guess I can use this for point clouds and point arrays as well?

That'd be my plan at least which might be better after all as I found out that getting the instance color values with evaluate_support_material() could be affected by a lighting if using a MaterialPhysicalDisneyPrincipled when you want to actually get the flat color value so using a MaterialMatte was better.
But with evaluate_texture_vertices() we'll get the texture color no matter material we use, so that's good too.

Thanks again for the info regarding this,
Jeremy
jboissinot

Unread postby nguiard » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 am

Hi Jeremy,

jboissinot wrote:I finally had the chance to take a look at your project setup. I basically got confused with the evaluate_texture_vertices() ModuleGeometry argument as a particle container will return me a ModuleParticle but this is the one you seem to be using in your code, so thank you for confirming this.

Yes, ModuleParticle is deriving from ModuleGeometry so that's why you can use it here.

jboissinot wrote:Getting the particle container points texture color seems to be working fine with this method then, now since I actually get the material of the scatterer override_material attribute, I would just need to get the instance color node of the material so that I guess I can use this for point clouds and point arrays as well?

Yes, you can evaluate the texture on any kind of point cloud. However, you can only add properties to particle objects.

Cheers
Nicolas Guiard
Isotropix
Head of R&D
nguiard

Unread postby jboissinot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Nicolas,

I would have to get back on this later but that's good to know though and to have a plan for that actually.

Yes, the idea is to be able to evaluate any kind of point cloud while still baking the properties on a particle container indeed.

Thanks again for the help,
Jeremy
jboissinot

Unread postby sam » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

For reference, you can find the full module class inheritance in the documentation: https://www.clarissewiki.com/4.0/_modul ... topic.html
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Previous

Return to Scripting