Isotropix Forums

USD Version

Clarisse Scripting related topics

USD Version

Unread postby briansilva » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi again! I was having trouble getting Clarisse to load up a very simple USD asset. It turns out it was because I had a payload being used as a list, i.e.

Code: Select all
def "Barrel" (
    append payload = @./geom/BarrelWithLid.usda@
) {}

if I set it to a single payload, it loads up as expected:
def "Barrel" (
    payload = @./geom/BarrelWithLid.usda@
) {}

which leads me to believe I'm using a later version of USD in my Python scripts, since I believe list-editing payloads is a recent feature. Can you tell me which version of USD is supported in Clarisse 4.0 SP5b?

Thanks!
briansilva

Re: USD Version

Unread postby dcourtois » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi,

We're currently shipping a quite old version of USD (18.9)
We're currently working on updating to the latest (20.2) but I can't give you an exact ETA though.

Regards
dcourtois

Unread postby briansilva » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Ah that would explain it!

It would be useful to have that down in the docs somewhere (or is it in there and I missed it?).

Thanks much for the info!
briansilva

Unread postby dcourtois » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:37 pm

You didn't miss it, it's not in the docs. Since I'm currently working on updating our 3rd parties (USD included) I'll see if I can add a page with the versions of all our third parties somewhere in the doc :)
dcourtois

Unread postby briansilva » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Fantastic! Thanks a lot. :)
briansilva

Unread postby briansilva » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Hello again! Slightly tangential and probably a bit obscure, but I could use some help --

I've built USD 20.02, and it seems to be working just fine from a Python shell (usdview works too, etc.). But, when I try to use the Python module in Clarisse, launched from the same external environment, I get popups about procedure entry points missing in the DLL files.

Is there anything unusual about the Python environment within Clarisse that may be causing this?

I get several of these across a few libraries:
clarisse_usd_dll_entry_point_01.png
clarisse_usd_dll_entry_point_01.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

• The DLL files do exist.
  • I used DependenciesGui on the libraries, and they appear to find all dependencies.
  • When I import the pxr module (and other USD modules) in Clarisse, it is loading the module in my build of USD.
Running this code works in a Python interpreter outside of Clarisse, but causes these popups inside of Clarisse:

python code

from pxr import Sdr
sreg = Sdr.Registry()

Any help/information appreciated!
briansilva

Unread postby briansilva » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm

This only seems to be an issue with 20.02 -- I can get it to work fine with 19.11...
briansilva

Unread postby briansilva » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:42 pm

I noticed that Pixar changed the library prefixing to be more idiomatic for Windows in 20.02, so it removed the "lib" prefix on the actual library files. As a shot in the dark, I tried rebuilding USD 20.02 with the prefix added back, et voila! It works now in Clarisse.

In other words, I added this to the build_script arguments:

--build-args USD,"-DPXR_LIB_PREFIX=lib"

I don't understand why this would make a difference, though. It would be great to know why in case things change in the future...
briansilva

Unread postby dcourtois » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:09 pm

The version of the Python module was probably looking for usd.dll, and our module is actually named ... usd.dll. My guess is that the module was found, and thus the errors you had.
When you encounter such problems, it's always a good idea to run a dependency check to see what libraries are being found, and see what's causing the problems. I usually use https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies
dcourtois

Unread postby briansilva » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:37 am

Hey thanks! That would explain it. :-) I was using Dependencies to check out the libraries I built, and also the Clarisse executable, but I didn't notice the usd.dll on the executable. But, come to think of it, it would probably be a good idea, generally, to have a prefix on the libraries to differentiate them from distributions in other packages too.

Cheers!
briansilva

Return to Scripting