Isotropix Forums

USD Scope primitives not loading

Clarisse Scripting related topics

USD Scope primitives not loading

Unread postby briansilva » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:01 am

Hello!

We're using USD Scope primitives in our hierarchies. When I reference one of these layers into Clarisse, it seems to skip them. Is this expected behaviour?
briansilva

Re: USD Scope primitives not loading

Unread postby dcourtois » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,

Yep, since scopes do not contribute to the transforms hierarchy, and are not "useful" to Clarisse, they are collapsed (e.g. the scope prim itself is not created in Clarisse, but its descendants are created and attached to the scope's parent)
This is true for all unsupported types btw.

Is there any specific problem caused by this behavior ?
dcourtois

Unread postby briansilva » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Hello!

We have some standard scopes built into our USD asset structure (for organisation), so it just means the world:// path in Clarisse doesn't match the USD namespace. I see that there's a "Prim Path" attribute that has the full namespace path on each prim, which may be good enough for the pipelining we're doing. I'll get back to you as we get further along in development. :-)
briansilva

Unread postby dcourtois » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi,

Glad you found the "prim_path" attribute and that it works for you. In Alembic references, the original path of the object in the cache is stored in the "object_name" attributes btw.

Just a quick side note: the world:// won't match USD's anyway in lots of cases: since in USD you can have multiple objects named "Foo" (in different places of the scene graph) but in Clarisse all those objects are referenced in a single context, in which all those "Foo" objects would clash. As such, they are renamed using number suffixes. The same behavior is also valid for Alembic references and basically any hierarchy referenced in a context.
dcourtois

Unread postby briansilva » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Hello!

Ah, good point on the potential for clashing object names in the same Clarisse context. I suppose you could create a context tree matching the USD namespace as well to prevent that, but that could end up being quite a deep tree.

Either way, the scene structure in Clarisse is unique enough that we weren't planning on trying to mimic the USD namespace perfectly anyways. So I think we'll be fine for now without the Scope primitives showing up.

Thanks for the info!
briansilva

Return to Scripting