Isotropix Forums

Stranded

Finished work (VFX, animation, print...) made with Clarisse.

Re: Stranded

Unread postby dandey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm

i actually was quite happy with the legacy renderer. now i need to rearrange all the shaders on all the plants :?

but hey! with clarisse anything is just fun ;)
dandey

Unread postby David_A » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm

sam wrote:FYI ILM team on Star Wars 7 were using the Legacy renderer :)

Not a surprise Sam :) the Raytracer is gorgeous. Don't take me wrong, you did a jaw-dropping job with the PBR, but the Raytracer engine is one in a million. It deserves not to be called "Legacy" but "Raytracer" just to hold a deserved position in front of the "Pathtracer". (Please tell me that the Raytracer will NOT be removed in the future)
David_A

Unread postby Timmons » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:39 pm

dandey wrote:thanks timmons

it's some time ago that i rendered it, so i don't know exactly how long it took. but the original resolution was arround 10k and so the machine worked at least the whole night.
the shading was preaty straight forward. the backlight chanel in the legacy standard material is the main effect for the leafs and then some tricks with different textures for the front and backside of the leafs. i think there is a tutorial about that. maybe in the island tutorial series?

i can post some screenshots of the shading tree tmw...

Thank you for the answer. That'd be awesome if you have screenshot showing shading trees. Thank you.
Timmons

Unread postby Timmons » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:43 pm

dandey wrote:Thanks guys!

@ timmons The trees are mostly models from turbosquid and archmodels. Lot of the plants and grasses are from xfrog.

I see. I am using speedtree and megascans and still try to figure out the workflow. Once I have something, I will post it. :)
Timmons

Unread postby dandey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 am

So, sorry for the delay, had a lot on the desk the past days.
the screenshot shows the shadin tree for a leaf. all leafs of all plants in the scene where shaded with the same setup.
basicaly its just the texture map node going thrue hue, saturation and multiply nodes to have the oportunity to colorcorrect every leaf on the fly.
with the "is facing" node one can define whitch texture shows on the front or the backside of a face. i just used the colorcorrection nodes again to desaturate and brightan the texture map for the backside of the leafs.
and then, the most importand efekt is the backlighting. i just piped the same texture, but brighter, more saturated and warmer in to it.

the normal map generated with crazy bump, leads to more datail in the specs.
Attachments
Leaf Shading.jpg
dandey

Unread postby Timmons » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:33 am

Hi dandey

Thank you so much for the sharing and also explanation. It really helps alot!!! :)

dandey wrote:So, sorry for the delay, had a lot on the desk the past days.
the screenshot shows the shadin tree for a leaf. all leafs of all plants in the scene where shaded with the same setup.
basicaly its just the texture map node going thrue hue, saturation and multiply nodes to have the oportunity to colorcorrect every leaf on the fly.
with the "is facing" node one can define whitch texture shows on the front or the backside of a face. i just used the colorcorrection nodes again to desaturate and brightan the texture map for the backside of the leafs.
and then, the most importand efekt is the backlighting. i just piped the same texture, but brighter, more saturated and warmer in to it.

the normal map generated with crazy bump, leads to more datail in the specs.
Timmons

Unread postby dandey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:47 am

you're very welcome :-).
By the way, the chanels in th reorder node are set to "rrr"
dandey

Previous

Return to Finished Work