Isotropix Forums

Very weird behavior on starting Clarisse after update,ideas?

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Very weird behavior on starting Clarisse after update,ideas?

Unread postby atnreg » Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi!

I have noticed that when I install new update and let the license manager start in the end, it takes over a minute before the manager UI shows up :o After that (I just close it as license has not changed) Clarisse starts normally each time.
BUT if I ignore or uncheck the license manager or kill the process (as there is no actual need to change licensing), then on next start Clarisse stays at "Initializing Clarisse..." for exactly 2 minutes! :o
Next time I start Clarisse, the delay is again 2 min, after that it usually starts normally.
Then any day it may start having the 2 min delay again even without any updates :o

So the behavior seems to have something to do with licensing but what, I have no idea.

I have all Clarisse files on local drives so network cannot cause the delay.

Do you have any idea why this happens and how to avoid it? :mrgreen:

Thank you!

Antti
Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4.0SP3,Blender,Fusion360,Houdini,ZBrush,Onyx,SubstPnt...
Started: Clarisse 2016/10 (Py 2017/01), Python 2016/11
No business, just fun :)
atnreg

Re: Very weird behavior on starting Clarisse after update,id

Unread postby anemoff » Mon May 13, 2019 11:17 am

Hi,

Do you have a startup script and/or shelf scripts that are long to run?

Have you tried running a new install of Clarisse after wiping your Clarisse settings folder?
1. backup your current Clarisse settings folder, located at "%APPDATA%/Isotropix/Clarisse"
2. move or rename the folder "%APPDATA%/Isotropix/Clarisse"
3. run Clarisse: you'll be asked to configure your license through Licman as settings have been wiped
4. run Clarisse again to actually start it now that license is configured
Once you're done with the tests, quit Clarisse and restore your backup settings folder.

Cheers,
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby atnreg » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 am

anemoff wrote:Do you have a startup script and/or shelf scripts that are long to run?

No, and without changing the startup script, when Clarisse works normally, it starts in few seconds.

Have you tried running a new install of Clarisse after wiping your Clarisse settings folder?
1. backup your current Clarisse settings folder, located at "%APPDATA%/Isotropix/Clarisse"
2. move or rename the folder "%APPDATA%/Isotropix/Clarisse"
3. run Clarisse: you'll be asked to configure your license through Licman as settings have been wiped
4. run Clarisse again to actually start it now that license is configured
Once you're done with the tests, quit Clarisse and restore your backup settings folder.

I did this and here's what happened:
1. Removed the folder
2. Licman took 2 min to start (to show the UI), selected the license (on local drive) and did Apply, Quit
3. Started Clarisse, took 2 min to start
4. Quit Clarisse and start again, again 2 min to start
5. Quit Clarisse and start again, again 2 min to start
6. Quit Clarisse and start again, starts in few seconds
7. Restored the folder and start Clarisse, starts in few seconds, Quit Clarisse
8. Start licman, took 2 min to show the UI, close licman
9. Start Clarisse, starts in few seconds
:shock: :shock:

Turning off Windows Firewall has no effect so it is not network related problem even though 2 min seems like some kind of connection timeout.

Conclusion:
-the problem definitely has something to do with licensing
-when licensing needs updating, the Clarisse start takes 2 min few times, then normal
-licman always takes 2 min to start (process shows immediately but UI appears after 2 min) but it does not 'reset' the Clarisse start delay unless the license changes
-rebooting computer has once solved the delay but usually it has no effect so even if I reboot after the first 2min, the next start after reboot still takes the 2 min
-the 'sequence' seems to always be 2 min, 2 min, 2min, normal
-once the delay has appeared all the sudden, no reboot, no touch in license, it just suddenly took that same sequence again to get back to normal

Here is challenge for you to solve :mrgreen:

Antti
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby anemoff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the tests and information.
The behavior is very weird indeed.

So, in short, if you restart Licman multiple times, even without uninstalling/reinstalling Clarisse, it will randomly take up to 2min to show the UI. Is that correct?

I don't think it's network related neither. Indeed, since 3.6 SP8 and in 4.0 too, the default license mode is nodelocked. Therefore Licman will search for a license file, which should be instantaneous, instead of trying to connect to an unknown server (because settings are wiped/fresh), which takes some time due to network connection retries.

We'll keep you posted.
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby anemoff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 am

By the way, if you correctly followed my instructions to wipe the settings folder, Clarisse shouldn't have asked you to migrate settings from a previous Clarisse version. Just asking to make sure.
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby atnreg » Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am

Hi!

anemoff wrote:So, in short, if you restart Licman multiple times, even without uninstalling/reinstalling Clarisse, it will randomly take up to 2min to show the UI. Is that correct?

Yes and to be exact, it is exactly 2 min, nothing else, maybe +/-3 s. :D

I don't think it's network related neither. Indeed, since 3.6 SP8 and in 4.0 too, the default license mode is nodelocked. Therefore Licman will search for a license file, which should be instantaneous, instead of trying to connect to an unknown server (because settings are wiped/fresh), which takes some time due to network connection retries.

Yes and also my network connection is fast (200M) so even if it did some network stuff, it definitely should not take that long :D
I also checked my hosts file, there is nothing related to isotropix.
So it must be something else. Also Clarisse log has nothing different when it starts normally vs. when there is the delay.

By the way, if you correctly followed my instructions to wipe the settings folder, Clarisse shouldn't have asked you to migrate settings from a previous Clarisse version. Just asking to make sure.

Yes, it only asked for the acceptation of license use (the normal dialog when starting new installation) after I had done the licman thing, nothing else.

But here is very strange solution to this :o
-delete the appdata Clarisse folder
-run PLE, starts immediately, quit <<<<<---THIS IS THE TRICK
-run full Clarisse, select licman
-licman starts in about 1 minute, apply, close
-Clarisse starts immediately :O

After that even deleting the data folder does not cause delay anymore, no need to run the PLE again :o
I haven't rebooted the computer so the only change was once run the PLE.
And now even the licman starts immediately (and I mean immediately, less than second) :shock: :shock:

What do you say about this? :mrgreen:

And yes, I am totally sane, I don't hear voices other people don't, this really is this weird :D :D
Of course it is good that running the PLE once seems to fix the problem but I would be very interested in knowing why and what caused the delay so please any ideas? :mrgreen:
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby atnreg » Tue May 14, 2019 11:40 am

Just a moment ago I closed Clarisse and started it again, 2 min wait :(
And this time even the PLE took 2 mins to start...but after that full Clarisse started immediately.
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby atnreg » Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm

After reboot licman started normally but after that Clarisse still takes the 2 min+2 min+ 2 min before it starts to start normally :o

What exactly Clarisse is doing during 'Initializing Clarisse...' state? That might give some hint...
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby atnreg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Any ideas on this, it is really annoying and can happen any time, for example today I was doing script class developing so I restarted it many times. Then I left for few hours and when I came back and restarted Clarisse, the delay was there again :(

Can you please answer the questions in my previous message if you have no other ideas? Those might help in solving this...
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby anemoff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi,

I haven't forgotten you. I understand that this bug is very annoying especially in your case, where you need to restart Clarisse multiple times to reload your modified scripted classes. We haven't investigated further this issue for the moment as it has a low priority compared to other features/bugs.

Initializing Clarisse includes many steps including loading and applying preferences, loading modules, loading menus and shelves from Python scripts (built-in and custom ones), running the startup script(s) if any, loading the project and its preferences if any, ...
Maybe this can help you figure out something on your side?

I suggest you report a bug in the Bug Tracker, with a link to this forum topic so that we ensure the bug is properly tracked and targetted.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Next

Return to General Discussion