Isotropix Forums

Settings to render interiors with the new PBR system

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Re: Settings to render interiors with the new PBR system

Unread postby esmith » Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

I agree, that with Clarisse you can...and should, do as much with your geometry as you can. As an ex Dneg lighting TD, I can assure you that over time nobody every complained about render time bevels not being in iFX. Models have to get approved before they are ever seen in my shot, of course sometimes shit models get approved, but usually the geometry is very nice these days. And objects that need bevels (all objects) will have them in order to be approved.

It used to be that it was at the lighting phase that you could do tons of tricks to make crappy models look nice, and to enhance shaders that may not look nice by "creative lighting" and using LOTS of light exclusions and fake reflections, etc. But we're in a PBR ray tracing world these days and you can no longer easily do these types of tricks.

It's more crap in crap out than ever these days. I'm not suggesting a bevel shader node is a bad idea at all, I'm simply stating why it's at the bottom of the list in terms of "must have features"
esmith

Unread postby ryder » Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Just to add what Eric said, yep, in my experience models are all Pre-Beveled b4 they can be published. Having said that,I did saw some of my colleague using OSL to do Render-Time Bevels, In actual Production Shots. I think there is one on forum ; )
ryder

Unread postby vandam » Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 pm

yeap, totally agree, and thanks for adding your 2 cents. But I also understand the people asking for archViz stuff. I have a background in architecture and I started my 3d journey doing arch viz - I know that pipeline is vastly different from that in VFX production, thus tricks like that come in handy. It wouldn't hurt to have them but the things you guys are working on are faaaaar more exciting than that :D
cheers
vandam

Unread postby irradiance_cash » Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 am

Indeed the pipeline is very different in archviz. Rendering bevels/roundings are very welcome in archviz since its easier to change an unbevelled model than a bevelled one, and change is THE big thing in archviz. Working in the archviz biz is not as lazy as working in the VFX industry :D

Bevelling is definitely a way to make a model look good and more realistic, no matter if you model bevels or use instant render beveling.
irradiance_cash

Unread postby bjoern » Sat May 05, 2018 8:29 am

Rendertime bevels are also used in VFX not much in the big ones yes. But big VFX studios (which I worked in for a while as well) should not be taken as the ground truth. In fact allot of times they are throwing things with eye's closed on the farm... crossing fingers. Buttom line, in allot of areas the Big boys doing fantastic work. In others they doing really silly workflows. And the fact that studio have to approve first a model in "OpenGL" just shows that they are stuck in there mindset of doing things and not looking for new innovative ways (in this instance). This feature would help allot for env in VFX, no question about it.
bjoern

Unread postby sam » Sat May 05, 2018 11:27 am

I don't think anyone pointed to the OSL bevel/rounded edges script here which works on the normal: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1281
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby bjoern » Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 am

sweeet! :-)
bjoern

Unread postby vandam » Sat May 05, 2018 11:44 am

If there ever is an oscar for the best technical support you guys will definitely get it :mrgreen:
vandam

Unread postby Preludian » Tue May 08, 2018 10:24 am

Support is great here!!!

Well, my impression was that Isotropix started to sell Indie versions to also have these small and smaller freelancers on board and not only these big, bigger and huge companies with millions of budget and mass of artists and time. So for me as a tiny weeny freelancer for ArchViz time is money and as architects LOVE to change things around constantly and true beveling would be rather bad for edits I would certainly love faked bevels to get the light on these edges.

But it seems that the pov is totally different with most of Clarisses important base users and they would not like any resources spent on some for them unimportant stuff. This I can understand from their pov.

My hope was that (as a script for faked bevels already exits (thanks @sam, I know of this script) this script could be firmly integrated and optimized within Clarisse.
I am no developer of course, but just maybe spending the time about talking and thinking about something is actually higher than the time spend quickly doing/implementing it (that's what I say to my daughter when she starts to debate about the usefulness of homework and more :))

Oh and while we're at it, another wish, have an object(polygon) automatically lay on another one, like a drop unto another. This would make it easier for setting up a scene and have objects easily positioned unto a surface. But maybe it's already possible and I haven't found it yet??

Edit: Just to make it more clear, not only snapping like in the translate options, but also an alignment as well.
Preludian

Unread postby isoyann » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Just to make it more clear, not only snapping like in the translate options, but also an alignment as well.

This is exactly what the "align to normal" option does, available both inside the snap tool and the clone3d tool.. :)
isoyann

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion