Isotropix Forums

Displacement: nothing works, am I doing something wrong?

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Displacement: nothing works, am I doing something wrong?

Unread postby lookdev » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:06 am

I followed this to the letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 3T_IJjUrZo
nothing has worked, neither the first method nor the second.

It is frustrating to see these tutorials start in the middle. Why not just start like the guy watching, with a blank scene.
Because now I have no clue what is wrong? I did everything blindly, the polygrid doesn't want to change, it's remains a plane surface.
There is another frustrated guy who commented on the youtube video saying make displacement adaptive span count 800, I tried that, also doesn't work.

The only difference is that I'm using a heightfield of a terrain in the texture map, not a noise as he did.
lookdev

Re: Displacement: nothing works, am I doing something wrong?

Unread postby ayanik » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 am

Set your heightfield image "Single Channel File Behaviour" setting to "Force Luminance". Also set the File Color Space to be Linear instead of sRGB.
ayanik

Unread postby sam » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 am

So first of all what type of displacements are you using? From what I can guess is you are using a Deformer texture displacements node (which is the first type of displacements mentioned in the video).

In that case, as stated in the documentation, the Displacement Deformer (which pushes vertices) doesn't support UV Projection because UVs can are discontinuous. Just set the projection of your texture to Planar Y (if it's a ground) and it will work.

If you need UV then use the Displacement Shader node as explain later in that video.

Next time if you are stuck, post your scene it will be simpler to see what you are doing wrong.

Another advice: instead on viewing the video on youtube, look at it on our website: https://www.isotropix.com/learn/tutoria ... arisse-3.6
Capture.PNG

Most of the time we give the contents of the tutorial so you can see how the scene is setup. You just have to press DOWNLOAD CONTENTS button
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby sam » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am

Lastly there's no point sending the same question on both Youtube comments and the Forums. We provide support on the Forums not on Youtube.

I wanted to tell you that on your first post even if you are frustrated but it is always nicer to start a post with a Hi and end it up with a Thanks when specially you are looking for help... People will likely be in the right mood to answer to your issues.

Thanks
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby vandam » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:04 pm

+1 to what Sam said.

Even though your post had kind of "I'm doing everything right, your software and support suck" vibe to it, you still got a ton of help. This show how much Isotropix crew is trying to help the community. At least what you can do is show some respect. I've seen some of the threads that you opened recently, they all start with "nothing works; how hard can it be?" etc. I saw them and was immediately repelled to give any help. My advice for you would be to try to understand the software (it's one of the easiest ones out there) instead of pouring out your frustration. And if you can't grasp something just ask nicely.

Cheers
vandam

Unread postby Ken_M » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:03 pm

"The only difference is that I'm using a heightfield of a terrain in the texture map, not a noise as he did."

Does it work if you swap in fractal noise instead of using the heightfield? When I first downloaded Clarisse I had an issue using heightmaps as displacements if I didn't import them as a 'streaming map file.' If I just used 'map file' then it wouldn't work correctly... especially for 8k displacement maps exported from World Machine, etc.

There's been a couple of times when I've swapped in fractal noise instead of an actual texture file and the tutorial steps have worked correctly. Then I could rule out certain issues and diagnose it down to the way I imported the texture image.

I had an issue with the tutorial initially where I tried using a 'shader displacement', but when I went through all the steps my poligrid only seemed to fold/crease slightly in the viewport. I didn't see mountains.

I had to click on the poligrid itself and then change the 'displacement adaptive span count' to 500 to 1000 and then my "noise mountains" started showing up correctly.

The default poligrid brought in from scratch has a 'displacement adapative span count' of 0. That's why I was seeing just a small crease/bend in the geometry instead of mountains.
Ken_M

Unread postby lookdev » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Sam, vandam, you are right. The question is asked after hours of struggle with a tutorial marked for beginners. It does show frustration, but I do not want it to convey the wrong message.

Clarisse doesn't suck, it is definitely one of the best (if not the best) addition to a VFX pipeline, and Isotropix support is honestly excellent.

But we need to be honest as well, tutorials marked for beginners and titled "understanding..." should start from 0. I've watched it and I have no clue what he is talking about because he started with a full scene with renamed elements, I had to guess from the icons what these are. And getting the file doesn't help a beginner, it helps a more experience user.

Please watch this, I have made an 11 minutes recording of blindly following step by step the first 1,5 minutes of the beginner tutorial :
https://youtu.be/DGjwD9fsWEo

I've uploaded the project, the heightmap (>1mb, couldn't upload but you find it in this link) https://prnt.sc/lpogua

I followed an earlier advice to go through the tutorials for beginners, I did, and this is the result. The first tutorial. Plenty more start too far, skipping a lot of stuff, and are marked beginner.

Maybe there are too many interdependencies between too many tutorials spread in the website, assuming all together they cover the basics.

put yourself in the shoes of a beginner, and one who has spent some 8 hours struggling with the first 1 minute and 40 seconds of a beginner tutorial.
Attachments
clarisse displacement BEGINNER tutorial.project
(37.65 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
lookdev

Unread postby sam » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:10 pm

I actually watched your video and as I said: Change the Projection of your texture to Planar and Axis to Y. I meant your map_file (which is a type of texture node in Clarisse). Select your map_file and change the Projection from UV to Planar and set Axis to Y. It will then work.

This is the only real trick here. The method you use is via a Deformer displacements. Deformers are applied to vertices and vertices don't define UVs (primitives do). When you create a spatial texture in Clarisse its projection is set to UV because 99% of the time they are meant to be connected to materials.

If you carefully look at the video, Eric selects the fractal_noise, and in the Attribute Editor you can see that the fractal noise Projection is set to Planar.

I agree, this is missing to the video and we will try to make even more beginners videos in the future.

Cheers,
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby lookdev » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Thank you.
Starting with a blank scene in tutorials would do.
Last edited by lookdev on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lookdev

Unread postby sam » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Cool I assume that did the trick right?
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Next

Return to General Discussion