Isotropix Forums

Very weird behavior on starting Clarisse after update,ideas?

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Re: Very weird behavior on starting Clarisse after update,id

Unread postby atnreg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Thank you for the info, then it is too wide what it does during that stage, impossible to determine where it goes wrong :D

But actually the problem may even be hard disk problem, today I noticed that when I adjusted an Image's HEIGHT to SMALLER than the value it was (e.g. 1080 -> 600) I got BLUESCREEN (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE) :o
That happened many times and adjusting the WIDTH did NOT cause it :o

Then I moved the startup project to other drive and Clarisse both started immediately and that problem was gone :o
BUT then I tested even with empty startup scene and first it looked like it started fast but after few tests it was slow again :o

I have all Clarisse data on E drive so without the startup project from E it should not use E at all but I'll need to check and make everything go to another drive to see it for sure.

I don't think it can be bug even though it's weird that the blue screen only occurs when adjusting the height but other than that a bug would not behave differently randomly :)

Any ideas are more than welcome, this is REALLY weird thing :O

Thanks!
Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4.0SP7,Houdini,Blender2.83,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Clarisse 2016/10 (Py 2017/01), Python 2016/11
No business, just fun :)
atnreg

Unread postby anemoff » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 am

Well, it's not impossible to find but it requires some proper investigation, and first of all being able to reproduce it here.
Also, we have never noticed such delays when using Clarisse here internally or heard similar feedbacks.

Do you have access to a different machine to test if you have the same behavior?
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby atnreg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:11 am

A friend of mine who has very similar system tested it and he had no problems. Of course the systems are not identical (slightly different GPU, different processor etc.) but otherwise we have very similar system setup for 3D.

I will need to make totally new setup so that there are no references to drive E even in clarisse.cfg etc. Currently the license file comes from drive E so it can explain the delays if there is something wrong on that drive.

Of course as the bluescreen occdurs only when changing the Image size when it is visible in Image View, it may lead to hardware problem in GPU as well but I suspect the E drive first because also opening system folder is delayed during the Clarisse startup delay...

So it is very unlikely to be Clarisse bug, it would be too weird as it affects the whole system :)
On the other hand, no other software, 3D or not, has no problems so it is really weird...hmm...I think I already said that it's weird but it is :D

I also need to rebuild the startup project from scratch because if I start Clarisse without it, the bluescreen does not occur. Of course then I don't have same setup for it but it is still best to start the config and startup project from scratch to make sure there are no leftovers from old versions (it is OLD, I have only updated it with new Clarisse versions, not started again).

Well, we'll see :)
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby anemoff » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:27 pm

You can try moving your license file to the C: drive for example and see if something changes.

You should also run chkdsk and SMART scan on that disk just in case. It's better to find HDD problems early before they break completely. ;)

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... ows-vista/
https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to ... -is-dying/
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby atnreg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Thank you very much for those links, I knew the check in Tools tab but it only does very basic check. Those instructions showed that nothing was wrong in my system for the check, it just does not have the advanced options anymore :)
So I ran the chkdsk on my all drives and all gave all ok. I did not run the full check yet as it takes long time on 2TB drives.

S.M.A.R.T. is more or less useless, it usually detects problems when you have noticed them otherwise (like system does not recognize the drive etc. :D).

But I copied all my 3D data on the D: drive (similar 2TB, physically different drive) and changed all the paths in all Clarisse cfg and env etc. to point to d:. License file was also on d: then.
Still right after reboot (and randomly anytime, especially if the computer has been idle for hours) Clarisse takes the 2 min to start :o
And this time even with no startup script or project :o

Then I did as you suggested, copied the license file to c: and Clarisse started immediately, tried many times! :o :shock: :o :shock:
After reboot it was slow again but then I realized that I had the possibly corrupt startup project active so I made new startup project from the Clarisse default open scene (just to make it use a startup project again) and now it seems to start normally :O

Now I have rebooted many times and it indeed starts normally and adjusting the Image height works, no bluescreen :o

How is it even possible that project file can corrupt like that, it is after all text file? :shock:

I don't believe the problem is solved yet but to make sure I need to build my startup project from scratch so that I only use the current Clarisse stuff. If that does not cause bluescreen, then I must believe it is possible for Clarisse project file to corrupt fatally :)
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby anemoff » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:23 pm

What do have in your startup scene?
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby atnreg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 pm

anemoff wrote:What do have in your startup scene?

Nothing very special; some references, environment sphere for nature lighting etc.
I haven't yet created the new one, I'm busy today with other things :)

The slow start is still mystery, when O woke up the computer from hibernate, Clarisse started slow but after reboot it was fast again.
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby mdkai » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am

I would assume since you tinker much with custom classes and scripts that this is causing those delays ...
This seems even more the case since you mentioned the restart is having no delay while hibernate is having issues.
Since a reboot clears all caches and hooks from internal memory.

Try to backup all customizations and start with a fresh installation, then see how fast it will work.
Thank add back one by one what you customized ...

Cheers
Kai
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Unread postby atnreg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you :)
I have done more research and it starts to look like the problem is in GPU CUDA :o

I base this conclusion on the following:
-removed all customisations, just plain Clarisse default start scene
-start Clarisse
-go to Image View with Image selected and change Image resolution (preset 720p -> 1080p), no problems
-go to Background layer and add and turn on Optix Denoiser
-change Image resolution (back to preset 720p) -> bluescreen :O

I already reinstalled the latest driver with Clean install option so the driver should be fine.

I cannot think anything else than GPU being faulty, what do you think?
Antti
atnreg

Unread postby atnreg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:31 pm

It is NOT GPU problem, I had same card in previous 3D computer so I installed it to this computer but EXACTLY same behavior (slow start after reboot/hibernate, bluescreen if optix is in use and the Image View is showing that Image and changing resolution) :o :(

I really cannot understand what is causing this and why only Clarisse is affected :O

And to clarify, NO customisation is in use, empty startup script and scene in Preferences.
Antti
atnreg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion