Isotropix Forums

Indirect lighting

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Indirect lighting

Unread postby 451549728 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm

I don't know how to increase the intensity of indirect lighting to make the dark part brighter,No related parameters were found. plz help me.

Re: Indirect lighting

Unread postby vandam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Hey,

You should increase the number of bounces if you want to introduce more light in dark places. Mind that its expensive to calculate.
Alternatively, you can use bouncers to direct more rays towards shaded area. I do not think there is a way to directly increase the brightness of indirect illumination, like in vray, for example. Though its been a while since I last used C, might be wrong.

Cheers
vandam

Unread postby ambassador1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Vandams suggestion should help. I do agree, it would be nice to have a way of increasing the indirect illum like vray, or modo on a master top level.
ambassador1

Unread postby 451549728 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:13 am

vandam wrote:Hey,

You should increase the number of bounces if you want to introduce more light in dark places. Mind that its expensive to calculate.
Alternatively, you can use bouncers to direct more rays towards shaded area. I do not think there is a way to directly increase the brightness of indirect illumination, like in vray, for example. Though its been a while since I last used C, might be wrong.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply, i try to increase the number of bounces,no increase in brightness,I don't know where it is wrong.

Unread postby tom_tm » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:37 am

Wouldn‘t it be possible to use an AOV to gain indirect light in postproduction?
tom_tm

Unread postby mdkai » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm

451549728 wrote:Thank you for your reply, i try to increase the number of bounces,no increase in brightness,I don't know where it is wrong.

Hi,
that's not physically possible, unless there is a cutoff before the energy is extinct or below threshold !
More bounces will also exponentially result in less influence with every increased bounce, but more rendertime.

Only exceptions to this is volumes, those do benefit from more bounces, but because they have to lit an entire 3d volume and each bounce will add more intensity to already existing parts in the volume.

So if there is already no more light you must increase the intensity. There may be an option in the future to increase (and decouple physically) the secondary light bounce.

Cheers
Kai
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Unread postby esmith » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello, increasing the diffuse bounces wont do much. For me, multiple diffuse bounces are best saved for getting amazing looking volumes.

If you have, just a straight up render, and you want to manage the amount of bounce light I think perhaps this is best done in compositing. you have asses to the indirect pass, so when you rebuild beauty you can just grade that AOV to get however much bounce you want. Combined with Cryptomatte you can then isolate areas to further break down your adjust ability to a surface/object in your image

But here is a quick layer hack, and depending on what you want to achieve may give you some ideas.

Before
IncreaseBounce.project
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

After
IncreaseBounce.project
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Project
Before.JPG
Attachments
After.JPG
esmith

Return to General Discussion