Isotropix Forums

Dust on bottles

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Dust on bottles

Unread postby gerdhofer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi,

in Clarisse, how would you tackle a task like adding a dust layer onto a bottle? With a texture or maybe a point cloud/scatterer?
Here's a link to an example image:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-old-w ... 89494.html

Thanks for any tips,
Gerd
gerdhofer

Re: Dust on bottles

Unread postby esmith » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 am

There are lots of ways, bust most would involve blending 2 shaders, one for the clean glass, then another for the dirty VERY unglass like dust surface.

Then on top of that if you wanted to get a bit crazy and scatter a million little "dust bunnies" around nobody would stop you!
esmith

Unread postby gerdhofer » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:23 am

Thank you very much! Sounds pretty straight forward and I think I should have been able to figure that out myself :lol:
gerdhofer

Unread postby esmith » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:40 am

I found this a fun little thing to do, so here is a good place for you to get started

It's 2 separate shaders, clean bottle and dirty bottle. Then I am mixing them together on a Multiblend using the same "fingerprints" map i'm using everywhere else. The label also has some stretched out fractal to look like maybe someone tried to wipe it
DirtyBottle00000.png

Here is the graph, you can see how the finger print texture is driving everything, including the blend between the 2 shaders. The finger print texture is always going into a gradient, so that I can manage the levels to get the results I am looking for and each channel can be adjusted independantly a bit. Reflection, Specular, Blends, Mixes, Transparency...etc. My finger print material is also a Triangular projection simply because I usually work like this so I don't need UVs to apply these types of materials to objects.
Capture.JPG

Here is the project with the textures applied to a sphere, so you can get the scale of the bottle I used. Just scale the texture projections to fit your object.
Attachments
WineBottle.zip
(126.13 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
esmith

Unread postby gerdhofer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am

Wow. That's definitely super helpful. Thanks again!!!
gerdhofer

Return to General Discussion