Isotropix Forums

Volume displacement?

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Volume displacement?

Unread postby kai_wheatley » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 am

Hello it's me again, lol.

Just wondering if it's possible to add some displacement to a volume? I created a simple volume box, and added a noise to a displacement shader, but it is not doing anything. Basically I am trying to create some simple mist without having to go into Houdini and bring in some vdbs. Would be great if I could just add some noise to the volumes directly inside Clarisse!

Thanks!
kai_wheatley

Re: Volume displacement?

Unread postby ayanik » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:02 am

Clarisse can't displace volumes unfortunately. But I am not sure if that's what you are asking for.

You can displace a geometry and use the Volume Surface node to turn it into a volume. This volume like other volumes you can tweak the density using a texture like a Fractal Noise in the volume material density attribute.

If you want some scene wide fog you can add a Volume Box and tweak the density attribute with a texture like I mentioned above. You can also change the density along an axis with a curve in the Volume Box settings.
ayanik

Re: Volume displacement?

Unread postby kai_wheatley » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 am

Yes, that is what I was asking. I've got scene wide fog, but also wanted to add smokey misty around certain areas. Thanks for the tip on displacing geo and turning it into volume, I will try that! If not, off to Houdini I go ;)
kai_wheatley

Return to General Discussion