Isotropix Forums

Support multiple UV sets per object

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Support multiple UV sets per object

Unread postby alves_mauri » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if Clarisse does support multiple UV sets per object.

Thanks
alves_mauri

Re: Support multiple UV sets per object

Unread postby support_team » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Sure, in Clarisse uv maps are slot based: if your geometry defines multiple uv maps then you'll see in project://default multiple items called uv_slot

If one of your geometry defines let's say 3 uv maps. You should see at least 3 uv slots in project://default:
uv_slot_0, uv_slot_1, uv_slot_2

UV Slots are created automatically when geometries are referenced. Each time a geometry is imported, the number of UV Slots is automatically maxed out to the max number of uv maps a geometry defines.

Let's say you have 10 geometries with no or a single uv map. In project:/default you'll see only: uv_slot_0
Now let's say you import a new geometry that has 2 uv maps. Clarisse will automatically create a new UV Slot called project:/default/uv_slot_1

If you want to assign a specific Uv Map to a texture then in the Uv Slot attribute of a Texture Spatial item browse for project://default/uv_slot_XXX

At first glance it may sound a bit peculiar, but when you think about it: in Clarisse materials and moreover textures can be easily shared across many objects. Providing a global way to reference uv maps is the easiest way to share material including uv mapped textures.

For more information, please refer to Clarisse User Guide page 165

Hoping this makes sense,
Isotropix
Support Team
support_team

Unread postby alves_mauri » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

My problem with multiple uv's set is that Clarisse isn't read correctly my alembic files. I exported a scene from Modo, in two format, lwo and alembic, the lwo file Clarisse read just fine but the alembic file Clarisse don't.
Do you know what I doing wrong?

Thanks
alves_mauri

Unread postby sam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:34 pm

What do you mean? The alembic exported from modo doesn't come with all your uv maps? Are you sure Modo exports all uv sets in Alembic format?
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby alves_mauri » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Well,

I know that Maya alembic's export doesn't support multiple uv sets, apparently neither Modo, do you know any software do that right?
Thanks
alves_mauri

Unread postby sam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:02 pm

I really don't know. Doing a quick googling I found this: http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=33&t=64464
Are you 100% positive for Maya?

EDIT: There's also this thread from Alembic mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... zXcQJkXJEI

And apparently the stock exporter doesn't support this as well.
Except using LWO + MDD or merging uv sets, I don't see anything else that could solve your issue.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby Arvid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 am

I've been reading through these threads, but I can't figure out of any of this applies when you have tiled UV's, which is a single UV set laid out over two or more tiles in UV space. For example, you can place a character's unwrapped head in 0..1 space, it's torso in 1..2 space, etc. If you import an object with such a UV set to Mudbox or Zbrush, they will output its textures in one image per tile, which you then need to reassemble in your 3D app. In Softimage you do it by offsetting UV space in the Image node and a mixer to put then together. Is there something like that in Clarisse? Typically, a high-res character could use 4 or more 4K images per map this way.

Example here: http://i.imgur.com/LX50pmN.jpg
Arvid

Unread postby isoyann » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am

Yes , clarisse support this automatically with the UDIM texture (currently, only mari's texture naming convention.. more will come). You can also manually offset UV, I just answered here :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91
isoyann

Unread postby Arvid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 am

That's great! I'd like to request Mudbux's naming scheme as well, it seems more flexible and easy to understand, to me. It's simply adding _u1_v1 to the filename.
Arvid

Unread postby ctedin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 am

I can confirm that maya doesn't support overlapping uvs via alembic. I had to export an animated mesh with mirrored uvs into houdini via fbx, then export it out of houdini as an alembic to get it to work. I imagine exocortex's alembic crate would be a huge upgrade and would address this problem.
ctedin

Return to General Discussion