Isotropix Forums

map point cloud radius with extract property texture

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

map point cloud radius with extract property texture

Unread postby trantor » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 am

Hi,

I am just trying to drive my point cloud radius attribute (TexturePointCloud) with an extract property "radius" coming from the same point cloud (container). While it works with a constant, it seems to not work with the extract property, i.e. not having any effect. I assume this either does not work by design or I did set the wrong data type on my radius property, lack some conversion nodes inbetween ... ?

What I am after with this setup is to create a "mask" coming from an existing point cloud that features varying density (based on painted radius value). Thanks.

Felix
trantor

Re: map point cloud radius with extract property texture

Unread postby trantor » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello,

I thought some pictures may help ;). As you can see, with a constant it is easily possible to drive the radius value. But no matter what value I fill the custom radius property on my container with, it does not change anything. So I wonder if my setup is wrong or if this is not possible at all (my Photoshop paintover is what I am trying to achieve). Cheers,

Felix
Attachments
extractPropertyLuminanceValueShouldDriveRadius.jpg
Photoshop paintover what should be the result
constantDrivingRadius.jpg
driven by constant without any issues
trantor

Unread postby sam » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:21 pm

You setup is wrong. You are evaluating extract property on the polygrid surface and not on the point cloud. The polygrid doesn't have any properties only the point cloud has. I'm afraid you can't access them. There's been a feature request to be able to extract the property of a point cloud in the Point Cloud texture but it is not available.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby trantor » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm

Hey Sam,

ah, I see. Thanks for taking a look. If I understand you correctly, to extract a property, it already has to be existent on the geo. It also would have to be prepped with the values for the radius in this case, which then could be read by the extract property texture, right?

Cheers,

Felix
trantor

Return to General Discussion