Isotropix Forums

Angie - Hybrid rendering - RAM Problem

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Angie - Hybrid rendering - RAM Problem

Unread postby machieb » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello,

I want to build a new workstation for clarisse. Because I saw the Angie presentation I have a view questions regarding GPU rendering.
Should I concentrate on buying more CPU cores or more GPUs?
In the Angie presentation the GPU rendered faster than the CPU but in the past Sam said, that clarisse is only using CPU rendering because GPUs have less RAM.
How will Angie handle it, if GPU memory isn´t enough for the scene? Will rendering crash like clarisse crashes now, if I switch to GPU in the viewport and the scene doesn´t fit in GPU memory?

In Blender you can render with GPU and CPU using Optix, also there rendering crashes, if the scene doesn´t fit in GPU memory.

A Nvidia Quadro A6000 with 48GB of VRAM is available, but for many clarisse scenes 48GB of VRAM aren't enough.

Or will Angie handle the RAM problem different?

I hope you can answer my questions!

Reguards Marcus
machieb

Re: Angie - Hybrid rendering - RAM Problem

Unread postby sam » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Marcus,

I won't comment specifically on Angie here, however for an hybrid renderer CPU+GPU, the idea is to use everything when possible. When that's not possible for any reasons whatsoever, a hybrid renderer should fallback on the CPU exclusively.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby machieb » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Hello Sam,

thank you for your fast answer! I know you can´t comment on Angie, because it isn't available yet. I think you will get this hybrid renderer fallback to work!

I am looking forward to the great products from isotopix (Clarisse 5.0, Angie) this year!

All the best,
Marcus
machieb

Unread postby sam » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 pm

You're welcome! Again regarding the memory, GPUs tend to use more memory than CPUs for the same scene complexity.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Return to General Discussion