Isotropix Forums

Can Clarisse export instanced geo?

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Can Clarisse export instanced geo?

Unread postby kirkr22 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 pm

In Unreal game editor for example? USD, alembic whatever? I mean not just origin points, placing gizmo s but rather geometry meshes staying to be instances of each other?

I suppose with that RedSHift support it should somehow. right?
kirkr22

Re: Can Clarisse export instanced geo?

Unread postby sam » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 am

Hello,

I'm not sure to fully understand your question. Why do you mention redshift?
Anyway, Clarisse has always internally solved instancing. The actual problem is how to export Clarisse scenes in a file that can represent an actual Clarisse scene. Until very recently there was no standard way to represent and efficiently export instancing information that could be read by all other applications. The only way to achieve this was to encode the scene info in order to decode and rebuild it in the host application. However, the information was always available in Clarisse.

Today, USD can somewhat and in a limited manner accommodate this issue through USD point instancers. Again this is far to be perfect because the scene structure of USD is pretty limited compared to Clarisse. It is based on kinematic hierarchy and it's completely incapable of instancing items that are not children of the instancers. For example, you can't have asset A instanced if asset A (and all its dependencies) isn't a child of the scatterer/instancer. Just imagine if Clarisse didn't have its context hierarchy. It's like you only have the kinematic hierarchy to organize your scene and combiners, scatterers could only "see" their children.

We've actually spent a very long time to devise ways to translate Clarisse scenes in USD in the most efficient manner possible. The USD exporter will be available in Clarisse 5.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby kirkr22 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:48 am

I meant that when I export a scene from Clarisse it bakes evry instance into each own mesh. I mentioned Red Shift because typical gpu memory limit.
I tried with Octane and 3d max a year ago and it hangs . It just can't cope with so huge amount of mesh data . Things should stay to be instanced for a gpu renderer.

Can I export alembic file to 3d max for example and keep instancing? Autodesk soft should support instansing in alembic files by now as of I know.

It usually just works with fbx too. I know we have no such option so is there an alternative or Clarisse will always be a dead end . Something can in but nothing can out. Nothing but a rendered exr image or a huge unusable geometry file. I work for a game and need a way to recreate same instancing there.

I love simplicity and ease of many Clarisse tools comparing to Particle Flow of 3dmax for example but having been unable to export anything properly stops me from using it.
kirkr22

Unread postby sam » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm

I'm not sure about the instancing of Alembic on Max. Anyway, better wait for the upcoming USD exporter on Clarisse 5.
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Return to General Discussion