Isotropix Forums

maketx banding artifacts

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

maketx banding artifacts

Unread postby trantor » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:35 am

Hey there,

I am running into some problems with maketx recently. When linearizing my texture maps, some heavy banding shows up (img 02...). This only appears when I use the linearize option in maketx. Also some colorshift appears which might be due to the oiio flag? Any ideas what is going on and how this can be fixed / avoided? Of course I could use it without colorconversion, but I would like to have all my inputs in linear to not worry about setting their colorspace in the map file node. Thanks.

Regards,

Felix
Attachments
maketx_banding.jpg
trantor

Re: maketx banding artifacts

Unread postby isoyann2 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi,

8 bits files should stay in gamma 2.2 space, 256 levels is not enough in linear space. In your case you have two choices: convert to 16 bits before linearize (this will take more space but this shouldn't be a big issue with streamed .tx), or stay in the original color space, check raw color in clarisse, and append a colorspace node just after the map node: this way the color conversion will be done on the fly, in floating point, without any banding (this will introduce little mip maps interpolation errors if the mipmapping is enabled, but this is negligeable compared to the catastrophic banding caused by linear 8 bits files... ).

Cheers
isoyann2

Return to General Discussion