Isotropix Forums

USD issues bundles and reference

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

USD issues bundles and reference

Unread postby crose » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 am

I'm seeing some issues trying to use a typical USD file we're making. There's really 2 issues; one related to using USD bundle, the other for using file reference with USD. I'm attaching example files. (Clarisse 5.0 sp3). The files contain a lodVariant set.

1. Bundle: Our typical USD files do not load the mesh geometry when brought in via a USD bundle. The same files all load properly in usdview, mayaUsd, katana, and as a clarisse reference, btw. In our original top level usd file the prim def begins:
Code: Select all
def "asset_bldg_s1_belltower_b" (
      instanceable = true ...

I'm able to get the geo to load by changing that def to:
Code: Select all
def Xform "asset_bldg_s1_belltower_b" (
     #instanceable = true .....

Is there some way this makes sense, or is it a bug? The original file loads properly in every other DCC i've tried, as well as as a Clarisse reference.
Once loaded through a bundle with the second syntax, I have no trouble switching the lodVariants.

2. USD Reference: The original USD file loads the geometry just fine as a USD reference. The issue here is that I cannot switch the lodVariant: the USD> VARIANT SETS section is greyed out / disabled. (revising the prim def as shown above has no bearing on this file reference issue). I have not been able to find a way to get the lodVariants to switch in the case of referenced USD files.

Thanks for looking at this. in the attached project file there are 4 different test contexts inside of build://project/LAYOUT/main/local_asset_library; 2 of them using file referencing, 2 of them each using geom bundles, one of each using the original usd asset file, one of each using my modfied version using the edits noted above.
crose

Re: USD issues bundles and reference

Unread postby dcourtois » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 am

Hi,

Both issues seem like bugs: bundles should show the same geometry as references, and the variant sets being greyed out on references should also not happen.
Would you mind reporting this in the bug tracker with the attached files please (I think you forgot to attach them to this post :p) That would be great! (and I'll have a look at it ASAP)
dcourtois

Unread postby sysadminGhost » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:34 pm

I am having the exact same issues here, loading in USD files from our USD pipeline. I am unalble to change variant when loaded as a ref, and it does not show up if loaded as a bundle. Did you have any luck finding the issue?
(I'm downloading the pixar test usd's to do a sanity check if they are behaving the same way.)

I have tested in 5.0 and 5.3
sysadminGhost

Unread postby sysadminGhost » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:01 pm

I can confirm it is the same issue with with the pixar kitchen asset being used in this tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-fzl8VuAk, so something is broken. This is on linux btw. Not sure if the person starting the tread is on linux too.

Thanks!
Martin
sysadminGhost

Unread postby Lucas » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Hey Martin,

you can find additional info on the bug tracker associated (https://www.isotropix.com/user/bugtracker/959), or wait the next SP for the bugs to be fixed
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist
Lucas

Unread postby sysadminGhost » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Thanks Lucas, I will try the alternative USDreference loading. (I used the ctrl + shift + f) Thank you for pointing me to a solution. :)
sysadminGhost

Return to General Discussion