Isotropix Forums

rotate/scale manipulator snap on vertex snap on object

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

rotate/scale manipulator snap on vertex snap on object

Unread postby machieb » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello,

is there a way to snap the rotate and the scale manipulator onto a vertex or onto an object?
With the move manipulator it works with the tool option "Snap Manipulator only".
Why is this option not available for the rotate and scale manipulator?

Thanks Marcus
machieb

Re: rotate/scale manipulator snap on vertex snap on object

Unread postby Lucas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:39 am

Hey machieb,

I'm not sure to exactly understand what you're talking about. If you mean a "match transforms" tool, that doesn't exist in Clarisse.
If you want to change the pivot of your object, you can by pressing Insert, and you can snap it (S) on any surface, but not on vertices.
If you want to snap your object on translate but not change tool to rotate, you can use the Transform Tool (T) which is very useful.

I can recommend you this tutorial for additional layout informations https://youtu.be/PNTYWZj089U , or to read the https://clarissewiki.com/ to find some precisions on the various tools :)

Cheers,
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist
Lucas

Unread postby machieb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Hello Lucas,

thanks for your answer!
I meen something else, I try to explain it clearer.
When you have selected an object, you can move the manipulator when hiting the "M" key. The manipulator is then placed under the mouse pointer. Its called "Offset Manipulator to Mouse Position". If you want to snap the move manipulator to an object or a vertex of another geometry you have to activate "Snap Manipulator Only" in the move tool options. Then with the S-key or the V-key snapping the manipulator to an object or a vertex is possible.
I need this option "Snap Manipulator Only" also for the rotate and scale manipulator. Is there a reason why this option is only available for the move manipulator?

I hope you understand what I mean?!

Cheers Marcus
machieb

Unread postby Lucas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:44 pm

If this time I understood well, you want a temporary pivot to move/rotate/scale around this pivot. I think your solution is on the Transform tool again, where you can use (M) to offset your manipulator and transform your selection (including rotate/scale). This is explained in the video I linked before

Let me know if that was it,
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist
Lucas

Unread postby machieb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Hello,

as I see the scale, rotate and transform tool/item have not the "Snap Manipulator only" option. My question was why?
Let´s have a simple setup.
I have three cylinders and I want to rotate or scale them from a box vertex or box surface point. How can I snap the rotate and scale manipulator on the box surface or vertex?
This works only with the translate tool/item when the "Snap Manipulator only" option is on.
See my attached image.
To make it even clearer using the M-key snaps the manipulator to the mouse position but is not snaping it to an object surface or vertex if there is a geometry under the mouse pointer.
Attachments
Snap Manipulator only.jpg
machieb

Unread postby Lucas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Have you looked at the video I mentioned twice ?

No, there's not the specific checkbox "Snap manipulator Only" on Rotate, or Scale, and you can make a feature request here if you want : https://www.isotropix.com/user/feature , but your problem can be solved as the same behavior exists within the Transform tool (and a shortcut associated), clearly explained on the video.

Cheers,
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist
Lucas

Unread postby machieb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Hello,

thank you very much, I watched the video, it´s the shortcut Shift+S and Shift+V while in the transform tool!

Cheers,
machieb

Return to General Discussion