Isotropix Forums

Scultping via Particle Paint

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Scultping via Particle Paint

Unread postby JasonWeise » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Hi All

I have recently discovered Clarisse and think it is amazing but have one question about being able to "sculpt" a terrain mesh.
I am setting up an evironment and have some abandoned vehicles sitting on the terrain and would like to "raise up" some of the terrain mesh by painting in some displacement (particularily around tires etc). Without being able to do this some parts of the vehicles are either pushed too far into the ground of floating above it (I hope that made sense).

I did see a post where a user called @ambassador1 showed how they used the particle paint attributes to sculpt a mesh but I cannot seem to get this to work as expected on my tests. I can displace the terrain mesh using a particle texture and particle paint but it appears to be all or nothing, i.e. I cannot built up the displacement by painting.
Here is the thread: https://forum.isotropix.com/viewtopic.php?t=3679

Does anyone have any experience doing this in Clarisse or mabye if @ambassador1 is reading they might have a demo project on how they sculpted the sphere in that thread.

Thanks in advance :)
JasonWeise

Re: Scultping via Particle Paint

Unread postby Lucas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am

Hey Jason!

Thank you!
About sculpting displacement I think you're on the right way with the Point Cloud texture and Particle Painting. If I understood right your needs, you can use nodes as Gradient, Contrast etc to refine your displacement, as I've done it this little example setup attached. Keep in mind that you can use values higher than 1 and lower than 0 to affect your displacement, and refine the shape of the Radius painted by the Point Cloud texture by adding points in the Gradient, and/or Contrast it to make it sharp, etc. Also don't forget to setup your Displacement bound accordingly ;).

Cheers,
Attachments
particlePaintForDispSetup.PNG
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist
Lucas

Return to General Discussion