Isotropix Forums

Learning Clarisse, need help with tutorial video please.

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Learning Clarisse, need help with tutorial video please.

Unread postby GraemeVR » Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm

I just started learning Clarisse again after playing around with it 4 years ago.
I'm following the beginning tutorials and I get stuck on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKP4E2aXpAI

When it gets to the part of adding grey_3dview_Shading_layer to the entire scene and he changes the albedo and all the materials in scene change color, at 5:28 minutes. Mine doesn't, stays grey. I've tried replaying the tutorial several times and followed it step by step but it wont change to new albedo color when I change. Is the rule I'm meant to set ./* for Shading layer. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

So I left that and moved on to adding the volume box, but I also couldnt do that. It doesn't work either. I added volume box, I followed all the steps and when I put the density down to 0.001 at around 8 minutes. its still super dark. It doesn't change like is does in the tutorial. Any help would be great. I feel like support for Clarisse isnt great, as there are numerous questions in the comment section of this video that are 6 months old and no one has even bothered to answer them.
GraemeVR

Re: Learning Clarisse, need help with tutorial video please.

Unread postby esmith » Mon May 09, 2022 6:55 pm

This is the correct place for support. Youtube comments on all our videos is not something we monitor for support, as I'm sure you can understand it is quite unmanageable and unverifiable. As you've done, thank you, this Forum is the longest form of support and is monitored daily. We also have a large Discord community, where you can get support from our generous user base.
https://discord.com/invite/he8QTvD

For the first issue you point out, without seeing your scene it's hard to debug. But the operation is quite simple so not much can go wrong. Make sure that your Browser is organized just like the one in my video. And also, make sure your 3d view is in Progressive Rendering. Are you getting a 3d view update when you drag and drop the Shading Layer on the Shading Layer Icon in the 3d View? You can always just drag the shader on the 3d view to apply it to a piece of geometry in your scene. Make a bright red shader, and do that, if you dont see an update then the 3d view isn't in the correct mode of PreVis/PBR.

For the Atmosphere, again it seems like perhaps your not in Progressive Rendering. Perhaps you don't have the proper context linked to the 3d view so the 3d view isn't using all the lights.

If you can share little clips or screenshots of your setup we can take a deeper dive.

I'm going to share this live stream I did of the beginners tutorial recently, just in case there is something in there that comes across more clearly, or helps answer a question or 2. I hope to be doing another one of these soon.

https://youtu.be/kIoJ_EUCPB0
esmith

Unread postby GraemeVR » Mon May 09, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Eric, very much appreciated. I will try the solutions you suggested. I must be doing something wrong, just gotta figure out what it is. I see now that this forum is the correct place to seek help and not Youtube comments, so apologies about the support jibe. I've been binge watching your Behind the Magic videos, so inspiring. I'm a long time Unreal Engine user, creating animations and short films, but after going through all your videos I now know to get the best results I need to up my game and learn Clarisse and Houdini. Thanks again.
GraemeVR

Unread postby esmith » Mon May 09, 2022 9:00 pm

Cheers man, I can't wait for you to export some Clarisse layouts into UE5....
esmith

Return to General Discussion