Isotropix Forums

Multiple Combiners vs. 1 single combiner

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Multiple Combiners vs. 1 single combiner

Unread postby freule » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 pm

This might be a stupid question, but here goes nothing:

I'm dressing a city environment where the buildings are made of clay. So it's perfectly OK to combine them to get other shapes.
I have, in the end, 350 combiners, most of them overlapping each other.

All maps are all TX and I'm using default light bounces and shader sampling. But the renders were incredibly slow. I'm talking 14h renders where all the other passes were rendering in 1 hour max.

After A LOT of back and forth I decided to put all the 350 bulding combiners into one single combiner and try again.

Voilá, the renders came back to 1 hour or so. Same amount of geo overlapping, same shaders, same everything. Just rendering one combiner instead of 350.

Is this something known and I just missed the memo? If I render one single combiner of all my environment will I get less render times than with multiple?

Thanks!
freule

Re: Multiple Combiners vs. 1 single combiner

Unread postby sam » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 pm

That sounds really weird. They are unrelated. The only difference with the two setup is the raytracing acceleration structures. So if you say that gray shaded (with gi) renders the same then there's no reason. Is that 100% reproducible?
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Re: Multiple Combiners vs. 1 single combiner

Unread postby freule » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:37 pm

Hey Sam, thanks for getting back to me.

I can't share the file since it's internal from the company. But I'll try to reproduce the error and get back here.
Thanks.
freule

Return to General Discussion