Isotropix Forums

Noise in leaves

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Noise in leaves

Unread postby layetut » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi,

I saw this post on the Isotropix Facebook page and I wanted to know if anyone can give me tips on how to get vegetation to render without noise like this. The shot looks pretty amazing and really cool to see it with animation. I am working on a similar landscape and we just can't get clean renders of the leaves. We seem to be getting 2 types of noise. One is typical grainy type of noise and the other is noise that is swimming around or buzzing on the leaves or an area of leaves. The distance to camera, leaf size, vegetation and amount of trees is very much like how it is in "Launch Pad." (link below)

https://fb.watch/h4KeX8gsbF/
by Rakotonindrina Cedric "Launch Pad"

We tried adaptive rendering with really high samples and between 10-30% shading oversampling and that didn't clean it up. Also took a long time. We tried lowering adaptive samples and using higher shading oversampling and that didn't really work either. We tried high AA samples (not adaptive) with multipliers on diffuse and spec and higher light samples and that didn't work either.

I guess my question is can someone suggest some starting point render settings? If we should use adaptive or not? How much shader oversampling? I read in the manual that leaves will need shading oversampling. Are there other raytracer attributes we need to adjust if we are rendering a forrest?

Thank you.
layetut

Re: Noise in leaves

Unread postby sam » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:44 pm

Hi,

There is no magic settings to get rid of the noise. I strongly suggest you to check the different AOVs to identify from which channel the noise is coming from. Is the direct illumination pass noisy? Is it a specific light causing the noise? Is it coming from indirect rays? Diffuse? Specular? Back Diffuse/SSS? Once you identify where the noise is coming from, you will be able to tweak the correct settings.

If you haven't already, check our learning page: there are a couple of videos about sampling.
Good luck!
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Unread postby bazuka » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:56 pm

as Sam said better to check the aovs and see where the noise coming from or check the tutorial on sampling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jWplKiJKjA
bazuka

Unread postby layetut » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:26 pm

Thank you. It sounds like it is better to not use adaptive sampling for a situation like this and treat each material and light separately.
layetut

Unread postby esmith » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:59 pm

This was a live Masterclass on rendering as well. The more you watch the more your head will wrap itself around these complicated topics!!

Must watch!

https://youtu.be/9vKLXNT0RWk?t=2012
esmith

Return to General Discussion