Isotropix Forums

Ferns and Rock Lookdev

Post your WIP image/animations here

Ferns and Rock Lookdev

Unread postby shawn_kearney » Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 am

Some look development from a current project. Ferns produced in C4d, rocks in Houdini. Semi-procedural shading done in Pegasus R4.

ferndev.jpg
shawn_kearney

Re: Ferns and Rock Lookdev

Unread postby shawn_kearney » Sat May 07, 2016 11:34 pm

Onward and treeward!

tree.jpg
shawn_kearney

Unread postby paq » Sun May 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi shawn_kearney,

Looks really cool ! I'm really jealous about your rocks.

I wish I could do this kind of assets in Houdini too, but I really don't know where to start.
Nealy all the example I have seen (youtube) use 'simple' spheres primitives + displacement, but your version seems much more advanced. Are you using voxels to create the initial shape ?
paq

Unread postby shawn_kearney » Mon May 09, 2016 5:27 pm

No. I am using the Voronoi Fracture, via this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDwK5to1lE

The only problem with this is that the rocks are a exported into one alembic object. To solve this select "build hierarchy from attribute" in the Alembic ROP and choose the "name" attribute.

The only issue from there is that the rocks will be positioned improperly when imported into Clarisse. I am not sure how to fix this using prior to export. But you should be able to import the alembic back into houdini, or, as I did just into C4D or Maya and zero all the rock's position so that they can be scattered properly.

As for materials, I used the occlusion texture. I never used the occusion texture in Clarisse 2, but in Pegasus there is an "Inner" occlusion mode that looks something Cycles "pointiness" attribute. From there, I used a granite texture I found somewhere that I mixed together with itself until it looked like I wanted it to.
shawn_kearney

Unread postby paq » Mon May 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi shawn_kearney,

Thanks for the link and the export tip.

I haven't tried to export the result yet (still learning the fracture options), but did you import your .abc as a scene in Clarisse (and not as a geometry) ? this should preserve elements position from you .abc elements.

And I'm sorry to derail your thread, but I can't resist to ask :S

In the end of the video, Henry use a 'Foreach' node to detect/delete fractured elements that share geometry with the original box shape. This 'Foreach' node seems quite different in the actual Houdini version (15.04), and I can't make this part of the tutorial working ... Do you have any tip or indication to resolve this ?

EDIT :

Ok nevermind, the node is called 'Foreach subnetwork', I was using the wrong one (loop)

EDIT EDIT :

Still can't manage to make the switch node working ... I'm pretty sure it's a stupid noob mistake ...
paq

Unread postby shawn_kearney » Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 pm

I set referenced the rock file so I could re-link it easily. The problem is that in the end you have a cube of rocks. When I put it into a scatterer those positions were maintained and I had floating rocks that were offset relative to the corresponding support point. Is there some way to avoid this? In general I kind of feel like I'm missing something when it comes to transformations in Clarisse.

Don't worry about your Houdini skills! I am a stupid noob too. I had a lot of issues with that as well. The whole Foreach concept is confusing.

Here is a few things to check on:

Ensure that your fracture node has a piece group prefix set. The author of the tutorial recommended using 'p' (for pieces). The fracture node will create a prim group for every piece it creates and names them with by a number sequence. This will put a "p" in front of each, so you get p0, p1, p2, p3 and so on.

Make sure that you set the Group Mask parameter of the Foreach subnet to p*. This will set the Group Mask to all groups that start with "p", i.e. all the pieces created by the fracture.

Inside the subnet make sure to rename the Each node to "ALL" and the delete node to "IN" and connect a null node to the switch. Connect the Delete node and the Switch node to the Each node now named "ALL".

In the Delete node, make sure that the group to be deleted is "outside" and the Entry parameter is set to "Primatives".

Make sure that the "ALL" node is at the top of the switch list and the null node is on the bottom (or switch the 0 and 1 in the expression).

I kind of get the expression. I think what it's saying is that if the primitive is included by both the ALL node (everything) and the IN node (only the primitives with points that share the outside geometry) switch to the NULL node. For prims that do not, essentially pass through the geometry. Though, I could be wrong on the specifics.
shawn_kearney

Unread postby paq » Tue May 10, 2016 2:48 am

Hi shawn_kearney,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, I got it working now !

About your rocks centering problem,
1) Select all you rocks items in the referenced context
2) Menu Animate/Center Pivot to BBox
3) With all the rocks still selected, Zeroing Atrribute/Kinematics/Translate (for the 3 axis)

You should be able to feed a scatterer without flying rocks.
paq

Unread postby shawn_kearney » Tue May 10, 2016 4:14 am

Awesome!

I wonder what other commands are in the menus I've been missing out on!
shawn_kearney

Return to Work In Progress