Isotropix Forums

Silver Moon

Post your WIP image/animations here

Re: Silver Moon

Unread postby RayCaster » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:21 am

Well I thought I was on the right track, I altered things to bring the image closer to the one above,
I thought it looked fine, but obviously still had many more things to alter.
fixed 2all4b.jpg

better2.jpg

aircastle2.jpg

Having bypassed the srgb utility node on all materials, and re-checking the AO was multiplied according to the new way of thinking
(not sure it's correct way of thinking) I found myself going back again & re-enabling them all(for some crazy reason)
I was in a place of predictable render result that looked ok to me.
I wrestled with many materials trying to get rid of spec dots that suddenly started appearing,
dont think I found the source(though as I edit the text I wonder if the sundial is the culprit),
and now after turning back on the srgb-linear(but rendering tone mapped)
the image is much darker and gone is the smoothness of the image(AA&Mat samples seem to low now).
Sorry for rambling on, I know nobody else who might be interested, infected with the Clarisse Bug.
As its now darker (render time doubled)the materials/spec /reflection is more prominent but because of the poor resolution look
I now have to figure out what needs to change, I wondered if i'd mixed my normal maps correctly
ie a mix of 2 materials has 2 normal maps, I have them going into a blend with mix/mask texture,
I decided to look into it, and found a tutorial splitting each to rgb and recombining, which looked handy to know about
but as I wasnt trying to have both combined in this way, I figure the way i've done it is a little easier & hopefully isnt causing any issues.
Just discovered the castle material i'd changed back to didnt have the srgb-linear, now i'm back to something perceptually better than before,
I've replaced the emissive bulb in the street, and positioned the sphere light to replace it, but I decided to flip them 180 thinking the throw would be better, didnt like the ies so trying the standard for a change...and so it goes on...

16aa & 16spp before was fine, though all light samples are on 1, not sure if having all samples on 1 only works with adaptive rendering,
and now it seems to be pulling back into shape with 8AA & 16spp. Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
RayCaster

Unread postby RayCaster » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:25 pm

newv5.jpg

Many little changes, probably many more to do, think i'm only using less than 5% of the power of Clarisse, though not sure i'll ever get past 10% there is so much I know I will never know. I thought this looked ok when working on it, but now looking at it uploaded on different computer doesnt look so good, gamma on island/fog or too much top light? Also had much darker version with darker clouds. At the start I didnt have falloff on any of the lights, thinking it was easier to light & maybe easier on the CPU, but curiosity took over and I decided to use it, to see if it made a difference, ideally to realism. but wonder how much longer I can keep playing with the same thing over & over, like mixing a music track with endless replays.
newv7.jpg
RayCaster

Unread postby daaims » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Real moon, that's from a Clarisse user :D

Great !
daaims

Unread postby RayCaster » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Thanks, I know it should be an over exposed tiny dot way off in the distance, but where's the fun in that, if I really wanted realism i'd have to move it far far away...How many Clarisse users have modelled threads on all nuts & bolts :)
RayCaster

Unread postby RayCaster » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 am

mist2.jpg

mist4.jpg

There really isnt any reference shots of the island at night, it's actually pitch black on the lake at night.
RayCaster

Unread postby RayCaster » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 pm

The attachment W ALL16.jpg is no longer available

W ALL20.jpg

Not sure how these look for others but they looked ok my end, in over 30yrs on computers
I've never colour proofed a monitor or used a spyder thingymabob, but only now do I wish I knew more
of so much more than I ever needed, but it really is too late to learn, all the things I wanted to
so many tools I thought i'd get around to, but now doubt I ever will.

The only reason for the 2 islands in this uninspiring arrangement was down to not knowing what I was doing.
After importing the castle I copied it to another position, and all the extra's where added to the second moved items,
so my combiners & groups are all over the place, as is the project hierarchy.

I tried to use the real world geo for the lake mountains, but wasnt impressed with results, the displacement map seemed to have errors in some places creating thin jagged peaked ridges where they shouldnt be. Wanted to make a couple of single mountains in terrasculpter, but ended up with a whole range, good enough for now but always room for improvement. The temptation to at least try to add trees to the mountains & tiny low res, simple Italian Lake buildings shouldnt take too long. There must also be a way to feed data/mask from where light lands on the moon, to an emissive version, only emissive in the crescent.

Still not managed to get the moon contributing into the clouds, but it's probably the sun in the wrong place, also not transmitting the sun through a blue/curved atmos, not sure if adding a sphere the size of earth would help. Obviously the moon would be brighter in most pictures, but things could be a lot more intuitive if camera aperture/exposure/iso where somehow accessible?
Attachments
W ALL16.jpg
RayCaster

Previous

Return to Work In Progress