Isotropix Forums

Attribute Editor Node

So you'd like something that's not there? Just tell us what, we'll see what we can do.

Attribute Editor Node

Unread postby bvz2000 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:27 pm

The bigger our scenes get, the more complicated and hard to manage they get. They also get harder to share.

Rules are one way of making scenes easier to debug, and easier to manage, and easier to share.

Along those lines, it would be great if we could get an "Attribute Modifier Node" that we could use similar to the way Shading Layer Nodes are used. There would be a slot in the 3D Layer node that accepted an "Attribute Modifier Node". These "Attribute Modifier Nodes" would allow nesting the same way shading layer nodes can nest.

Each attribute modifier node would consist of the following:

Code: Select all
Rule          Attribute          Value

So, for example, if I wanted to change the "Scatter Scale" of some of my scatterers, I would have the following:

Code: Select all
Rule                         Attribute                         Value
*/myScatterer                Scatter_Scale_X                   3.2
*/myScatterer                Scatter_Scale_Y                   2.0
*/myScatterer                Scatter_Scale_Z                   0.6

The next step, of course, would be to be able to "see" these values in the existing attribute editor. If you just clicked on the current attribute editor, you would only see the directly edited attributes, not ones that are being changed downstream. I would suggest adding a separate window that had the entire project displayed in it (similar to the explorer) PLUS a built in attribute editor. Then I could drag onto this window an "Attribute Modifier Node" (or select it from a dropdown) and the current "state" of each item and its attributes would be displayed in this new hybrid window.

Eventually this could morph into a more hybrid approach for artists where direct manipulation of objects is limited to those things hard to do procedurally (layout mostly), but most other work would be (optionally) performed via nested Attribute Modifier Nodes... this nesting could even be displayed in the form of a node graph where children Attribute Modifier Nodes are plugged into their parents in a DAG.

Sounds easy, right? :)
bvz2000

Re: Attribute Editor Node

Unread postby sam » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:35 am

Hi Ben,

I can't enter into greater details but something like what you've described is planned in the future.
Best
Sam Assadian
Isotropix
CEO/Founder
sam

Re: Attribute Editor Node

Unread postby bvz2000 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 pm

That would be amazing. I am just running into another case where it would be very helpful.

To be honest, what I am mostly looking for is a blend between Katana and Clarisse.

Clarisse is much easier to use than Katana, but when we start getting into larger, more pipeline oriented shots we are starting to get into issues where the direct manipulation of items (vs. a "recipe" system like Katana) is slowing us down a lot. On the other hand there are times where direct manipulation is a lot faster and easier than a recipe system - especially layouts.

So having a blend of the two (where I can directly change attributes on objects like I do right now in Clarisse) but then also apply (nested) overrides at render time seems like it would be the very best of both worlds. If it could be a node-graph that would be even better, but even a nested system like the current shader layer editor would be fine to start with.

Very excited about this, and I know you can't reveal many details now but anything you can reveal would be great to hear about!

Thanks.
bvz2000

Return to Feature Requests