clarisse doodles

Post your WIP image/animations here

Re: clarisse doodles

Unread postby jandersunstar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Looks great! Love the colors!
jandersunstar

Unread postby igbw712 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Germanobanano. Can you upload the project and image files you used for that? I'd really like to see what your shading and lighting rig looked like.
igbw712

Unread postby Germanobanano » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks!

David_a: I know i know... Have been asked about a QGIS tutorials a few times already. It's not that I'm withholding any secrets, it's more a combination of not knowing enough/lack of time/subject complexity ...

igbw712: Sorry, can't really do that. the shading is pretty straight forward. Just a standard shader for the ground, dielectric for the water. It's a matter of tweaking the values until you find something that works, sometimes looking at AOVs to see each effect separately (diffuse, spec etc).

and the lighting is a simple HDRI. What I do is make sure that the sun has a high enough EV value in Nuke. This is EV18.

hope that helps
Last edited by Germanobanano on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germanobanano

Unread postby David_A » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks anyway Germán. May be it is just a matter of looking at other approaches; and yours looks like really cool to me: For example, thinking about the recorded doodle that you used a part of the UK, specially the terrain model and texture matching process, where do you get it, if you do any previous geo referencing work or one can download all that kind of data from a service, etc...
Keep up the good work!
David_A

Unread postby Germanobanano » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey David,

the doodle maps where from here:

http://environment.data.gov.uk/ds/survey/#/survey

and I use Qgis to manage/export them.

If you set up the right projection type, color and dispalcement lineup perfectly, no georeferencing needed!
Germanobanano

Unread postby David_A » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:19 am

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try!!

David :)
David_A

Unread postby Germanobanano » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:12 pm

It's been a while since I last posted here! Busy times, but I've been getting back to doing some more landscapes in my spare time.

These are heightmaps + colour maps coming from Gaea. I've been using deep or Pworld recently combined with separate light LPEs to do the cloud shadows in post and I'm loving the little surprises you get.

Now I want to work on some better scatter objects, play a bit more with Gaea to get better terrains and model up some sort of village/castle/outpost.
Attachments
gaea_canyon_02_005_01_crop.png
gaea_canyon_02_002_01_crop.png
Germanobanano

Unread postby meryon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 pm

These are really beautiful renders Germanobanano !
I really need to test Gaea too. :)
Can you talk more about your process with your LPE setup to get these clouds shadows?
Thank you !
meryon

Unread postby Germanobanano » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks, Meryon!

There's a free edition of Gaea if you want to try it out and the Facebook group is very active, with lot's of people helping out, so give it a go. It is a lot of fun.

I'll do an in-depth video of the cloud trick, but the gist of it is to output separate passes for each light and the expose down the key light using a 3d noise as a mask. You can generate a 3d noise in nuke by using a Pworld or a deep pass. You get better edges with deep, but it's a bit more cumbersome if you are doing quick local renders I find.

This is the nuke gizmo I'm using atm is this one:
http://www.nukepedia.com/toolsets/3d/wptk

might end up doing a little gizmo that combines it all, I'll share if it happens
Last edited by Germanobanano on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germanobanano

Unread postby meryon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Thank you very muck Germanobanano.
I will test that when I will find free time.
:)
meryon

PreviousNext

Return to Work In Progress