Isotropix Forums

Settings to render interiors with the new PBR system

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Re: Settings to render interiors with the new PBR system

Unread postby Preludian » Sat May 12, 2018 1:01 am

So easy and good enough. Thx!
Had to watch the tutorial though as help (double click to quickly open the tool options, nifty ;)) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--Mylr2RZU

So, wish -= 1 :)
Preludian

Unread postby esmith » Thu May 31, 2018 11:58 pm

Ok, well i got a chance to test some things and thought this would actually be the best scenario in which to do so. Thanks to Preludian for setting this up for me. Sorry for the water mark, you know we still have to use PLE on occasion :-)

200 samples
55 minutes with the volume
Clasroom_v12_Optix75_200smp_3336Sec.jpg

22 minutes without the volume
Clasroom_v11_Optix75_200smp_1332Sec.jpg

I can't find the ceiling exposed pipes which are casting shadows/occlusion. I've added some reflection properties to the desk metal and desktops otherwise every shader is a standard shader with a texture piped into the diffuse front color. Depth of field is rendered. I am blending in a bit of Optix de-noising, 75%.

I'm not sure how long the blender test took to render, but I am pleased with these renders. With more complex shaders a very nice look would be achieved.

Something fun was working in the 3d View progressive rendering so I could see with almost instant feedback the anle of my lights in a complex scene. A very important thing about Clarisse iFX.
LightAiming3DView.jpg

I also tuned the reflective of the desktops and metal frames in the 3d view with Optix without needing to render anything to easily adjust the surface qualities. All this in the exact same scene, and scenario I will use for my final render. Another very Clarisse iFX thing to experience.
LookDev3DView.jpg

I have another feature I'm testing so I'll post up with some new renders a bit more in the future.
esmith

Unread postby Preludian » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:47 am

Just a quick reply before shutting off the pc and going to bed, but I had to say WOW!
Are you using the recent Clarisse version?
Will you be sharing the scene to learn from?
Cannot say about the render time, since I guess that your computer has much higher specs than mine, but the version with the volumes add so much more atmosphere that it's worth the extra rendering time :)
Oh, and I will be looking for the pipes, probably done procedurally and I missed exporting them. Sorry.

Now to some nit picking criticism to motivate you :)
The ceiling lamps are somewhat white dead though, meaning overbright. A subtle glow as in the original would help.
Quality wise it's very close to Blender. Shadows are a bit to harsh from the venetian blinds on the wall and the light from the ceiling lamps cast too much/strong on the balk? of the ceiling. Also too much shadow in the corners.

Good job and thanks a lot for taking the time to set up the scene!
Preludian

Unread postby esmith » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:22 am

Thanks , as I said I was testing some things. :-) I have no idea my computers spec actually but i'll find out at work tomorrow.

As for your notes, I don't disagree. There are things coming down the pipe that will greatly enhance these types of light sources. But of course there are things I can do now. I'm not sure I've ever seen a lamp like that in real life. A solid piece of densely frosted glass in such a complex shape, I don't believe it's real. In a classroom they would have those depressing long "egg crate" style lights. Maybe I'll find some of those and put them in for the full depressing elementary school feeling.
esmith

Unread postby Preludian » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Oh dear, seems as if I really missed the pipes and the fixatures. Don't know how this could have happened :oops:
But here they are:
classroom_update_01_pipes.zip
Update Pipes and more ceiling stuff
(763.46 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

This is a new project with only the new files, not the whole data again. And no shading layer set up.

Computer Specs:
Good idea, I used to run a cinebench on my equipment to have some kind of reference.
Here is the link to it: https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/

I'll also have a run so you can smash me with your specs :)

Classroom not real? Hell no, if I had such a classroom I deliberately would go to school once more :mrgreen:
With IES lights you could have some nice lighting ;)

Could you increase the sunlight? Seems as if the value of the sun is not very strong, in contrast to the Blender rendering. That's where portal would help ;)
Preludian

Unread postby Preludian » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Ok, I did it, my Cinebench values:

cpu=834.43
opencl: 115.43 (not relevant for Clarisse)

The log:

For those who want to try, don't forget to fill in the info field and it saves when you exit cinebench and the results will be in the 'cb_ranking' folder.
Preludian

Unread postby vandam » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 pm

what kind of lights were you using? is it just the dome light along with some interior omnis? and what were your render settings?

I think they have Ryzen based workstations so they should get twice the score you got. I'm running 14 core i9 slight OC'ed and I get 4-5 more than you do. Still, if I can render interior scene within few hours there's no need to stick to vray and max any longer.
vandam

Unread postby esmith » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Hello everyone, as I said this is a test build with some features you will have access to in short time that people in this thread are demanding. I just wanted to show some renders to wet your appetite since there was a lot of talk about Clarisse iFX inability to render interiors, which is only going to get better in the short term future. I could art direct the classroom all day, I think the goal for me, was to see an ability to produce a render of the same quality as this render people love. I think it's obvious that it is not only possible, it's very fun to achieve this and work on it.

My cinebench came back 2775, 20 core, 40 thread Xeon E5-2690 v2. My renders use some optix so that portion goes on the Quadro K4200 I suppose. I am having great results mixing in a bit of Optix denoising on my renders, just a little bit blended in to get rid of ALL the noise.
esmith

Unread postby Preludian » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 pm

2775, 20 core, 40 thread Xeon E5-2690 v2

:shock:

Hmmm, that would actually mean a tripled+ render time compared to my specs, ok, then the new to come version will surely render faster, too, so bringing it down to Blender render time. Great news!
Preludian

Unread postby esmith » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Ok the pipes are now in, and I'm also using some other features for more realistic lights, a bit of shader work on the hanging lamps but nothing to fancy. It's been enjoyable to play with this in my testing of future features, so it's been a big help. I hope it excites everyone about future possibilities using Clarisse iFX. Next time you see this I'll probably be testing some other features, and also will put a more realistic light geometry on the ceiling, ha.

Something important I learned was to use the Optix denoiser in your render, if for nothing else at least on a low power just to really speed up that FINAL pass of noise reduction. I see no discernable noise in this image done with 75% Optix at 200 samples.
Clasroom_v17_Optix75_200smp_4413Sec.jpg

Here is the base Blender reference image which I feel confident I've emulated and in some ways surpassed IMOHO. But that's all subjective. My classroom is more filthy and a bit more sunset color temps from outside. :P
Classroom_Render_with_VBs.png
esmith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion