Isotropix Forums

Flip normals

Flip normals

Unread postby bazuka » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:28 pm

I know this may sound stupid, but from time to time im getting abc with flipped normals, and its giving me a pain in the a*s, so any chance to add this 'feature' in near future?

Cheers
bazuka

Re: Flip normals

Unread postby mdkai » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 am

Hi,
if they are flipped you would need a proper export no matter what.

Since there is not way to flip a collection of normals smaller then the shader level group and for abc sequences this may be a very costly procedure.

I think it is better to export as clean as possible, before going to the next step in clarisse.
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Unread postby gjennings » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am

A clean export is the answer :)
gjennings

Unread postby bazuka » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

i undestand you guys, but i will have to thru 2 passes, since the 'client' is sending the abc, so i have to import that abc into maya/houdini/3ds and export abc again....

dont you think its a bit long process?
Last edited by bazuka on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bazuka

Unread postby mdkai » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:18 pm

I know what that means , clients can send things in debateable states, like wrong CAD data , multiple overlapping meshes with minor differences and so on..
It is a long process for sure to go through all that, cleaning it etc.. and can be very frustrating but it will also help to prevent carrying along any wrong geo in the first place.

By the time you start with Clarisse, it is expected to have some clean and organised mesh to start with. Editing of ANY subcomponents is not part of Clarisses workflow and must be done in the package prior to the export.

Ask the client to send either a proprietary format you can work with (.ma file or fbx) or make sure it is communicated that some manual cleaning is required.

Alembic files are not really meant to be edited again on the subobject level anyway, unless the package offers that functionality (like Houdini) but comes with a massive performance cost which makes the usage of an abc pretty much useless anyway.
Join us at the Discord https://discord.gg/G5cJj9A
mdkai

Return to Feature Requests Archives