Isotropix Forums

Ray Switch on Lights

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Ray Switch on Lights

Unread postby stheroux » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi there,

In the past, we've used ray_switch on an environment light with success. For example, to have the light dimmer in reflections or refraction than camera. But it does not seem to work on any other lights. As soon as we plug in a ray_switch, the light goes black.

We can work around that but were wondering if that's normal? (Were on 4.0sp3 )

Thanks
Sylvain
stheroux

Re: Ray Switch on Lights

Unread postby esmith » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Hello, I'm seeing this same behavior. This type of workflow seems broken for Distant, Spot and Sphere lights.

In the attached zip file I have an example of how I think your setting up the lights, this is "RaySwitch_OnLightInputs.project"
Please confirm, and if I'm not doing it in the same way, please make a new context and hook it up as you are trying to do.

Alternatively you could adjust the reflection interdependently at the shader level, this is "RaySwitch_OnMaterialInputs.project"

Let me know if this helps you, and I'm looking into the way those 3 light types behave and see if we're crazy or we have an issue.
Thank you
Attachments
RaySwitch_Lights.zip
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
esmith

Re: Ray Switch on Lights

Unread postby stheroux » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi esmith,

Yes, thats how our lights are setup and it only works with environment light, as in your example.

We know about the material ray_switch, which works well but does not solve exactly the same problem (Control over a specific light). We will use separate render passes instead.

Thanks for looking into it.
Sylvain
stheroux

Return to General Discussion