Isotropix Forums

Exporting Alembic with no reordering of ID

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Exporting Alembic with no reordering of ID

Unread postby Olivares_Ver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:36 pm

Hey everybody,

So basically i'm working a setdress in clarisse. All the setdress is then exported in Alembic, to after be replace in maya with ass files. So the hierarchie of a specific scatter after importing it in maya with the alembic is instance_xform_0, instance_xform_1, instance_xform_2, instance_xform_3, ect.
Inside those groups contains my combiners. Everything is good till we have retakes. For exemple, i have to erase one specific point in a scatter, in this case let's say instance_xform_2, after when i export it, all the groups reorder, so instead of being instance_xform_0, instance_xform_1, instance_xform_3, like i would like it to be, all the ID's reorder, so the result after erasing the point in the scatter and the reexporting it it's: instance_xform_0, instance_xform_1, instance_xform_2, wich are not the same id's as my first export

So basically my question is, how do i keep the same iD's in my points even if i erase a point in a scatter, I want the ID's to be the same before and after the retake, and then reexporting them. So instead of reeordering, i want my points to keep the same ID's basically

Thanks!!!
Olivares_Ver

Re: Exporting Alembic with no reordering of ID

Unread postby Lucas » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:42 am

Hello !

Does that tutorial fix your issue ? https://youtu.be/Y2bY7jCdH7U

Cheers,
Lucas Nadal
Isotropix
Technical Artist

Come talk with the community on Discord ! https://discord.gg/he8QTvD
Make sure to visit the wiki : https://clarissewiki.com/
Lucas

Unread postby Olivares_Ver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:08 pm

Lucas wrote:Hello !

Does that tutorial fix your issue ? https://youtu.be/Y2bY7jCdH7U

Cheers,

Hey Lucas, thanks for awnsering my question!

I actually did watched that tutorial but doesn't do the trick, that's more for a distributions of id's in a certain scatter in clarisse,
I attached 2 pictures, wich shows 2 exports, one with the original setdress abc export and the second one with the retake.
In this case, the group :setdress_clarisse_ass1:instance_xform_6 was the one was erase, but as you can see, it reorders,
So i would like for exemple, for the group setdress_clarisse_ass1:instance_xform_6 to be empty, or just don't exist,
so the export can go from setdress_clarisse_ass1:instance_xform_5 to setdress_clarisse_ass1:instance_xform_7, so each point in
clarisse doesn't reorder, but keep the same id's even when erasing a point.

Thanks!
Attachments
Setdress_second_export_after_retake.JPG
This is the second Export after erasing a point in the scatter, and it reorders
Setdress_first_export.JPG
This is the original Export without erasing a point in the scatter
Olivares_Ver

Unread postby anemoff » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:31 am

Hi,

This is actually a limitation of our Alembic exporter: it always uses the instance ID, which is dynamic, instead of the support point ID, which is constant. We could add a new export option for Scatterer Instances Names: Use Instance ID or Use Support ID.
I've made a quick proof of concept and attached the resulting alembics. Let me know if that's what you are looking for.

alembic_scatterer_export_use_support_point_id.png
alembic_scatterer_export_use_support_point_id.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Could you submit a bug report so that we can schedule a fix?

For now, the only workaround that I can think of is the following. But it implies changing your workflow.
- Bake the scatterer using Scattering > Bake Scatterr shelf item. The baked scatterer is created with 3 properties: id, rotation and scale.
- Paint the point IDs in the baked_ids property.
- Export the new scatterer to Alembic with Export Properties enabled (default).
- Change your workflow to use properties instead of object names.

Cheers,
Attachments
abc_export_scatterer_point_ids.zip
(39.28 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby esmith » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:34 pm

I haver submitted a bug with all the details
esmith