Isotropix Forums

Very long time of Building tesselation uv maps of object

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Very long time of Building tesselation uv maps of object

Unread postby golubevcg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi everyone!
Trying to learn clarrise in non com project.
Wan't to scatter forest, but i stuck with some problem. Everything works fine with small geo, but when i try to import a large tree, something like 8-12 million of polygons, i reference it and it load, load, load, and dies on moment "Building tesselation uv maps of object ".../..", for very very long time. Alembic is aroun ~500 Mb.
Is there any ways to improove speed of loading? What the actual problem?
golubevcg

Re: Very long time of Building tesselation uv maps of object

Unread postby gjennings » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi,

not quite sure why it isn't working. Would you be able to upload a test scene by any chance?
You should be able to send me a private email if you click on my username.
Cheers,
Greg
gjennings

Unread postby bvz2000 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 pm

golubevcg wrote:Hi everyone!
Trying to learn clarrise in non com project.
Wan't to scatter forest, but i stuck with some problem. Everything works fine with small geo, but when i try to import a large tree, something like 8-12 million of polygons, i reference it and it load, load, load, and dies on moment "Building tesselation uv maps of object ".../..", for very very long time. Alembic is aroun ~500 Mb.
Is there any ways to improove speed of loading? What the actual problem?

One thing you might try is using an alembic bundle node instead of importing or referencing an alembic file. This is especially important if your tree has a separate leaf object for each leaf. In those cases having tens or even hundreds of thousands of individual objects in your alembic can bring Clarisse to its knees. The alembic bundle node can solve those kinds of issues.

The alembic bundle node can be found if you right-click on a context and choose:

New -> Geometry -> Alembic

Of course, this may not be the issue at all, but something to try.
bvz2000

Unread postby golubevcg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am

You are not authorised to view the member list or profiles. Can't watch your profile.
So i loaded alembic file in cloud.
There is nothing in the scene, i just try to load it as a reference in empty, default scene.
alembic is generated in houdini, from custom made tree generator otl.
here's a link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_ISR- ... sp=sharing (508 MB)

maybe something wrong with geo? there is just a lot of branches and pine needles i mean reeally a lot of them
golubevcg

Unread postby gjennings » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am

Hi,

I downloaded the file and can't open it in Clarisse, or Maya, or 3dsmax so there might be something wrong with the geo.
The alembic should typically de-duplicate the needles if they are all similar geo but scattering the needles using a point cloud would be more efficient and give you more control.

Are you able to visualize the geo in another dcc app? Have you tried exporting without Uvs ?

Cheers,
Greg
gjennings

Unread postby golubevcg » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks, Greg!
Hmm... seems very strange - Houdini have no problem with this abc. Anyway, i fixed the problem, it really was my mistake, problem was in uv coords, in code, it was created wrong, when i fixed it - all started to work.
And yes, tried to scatter needles and it really faster (prev abc was ~500-550 Mb, but with scattering all geo around 30 Mb - great!
Thanks a lot, helped me so much!
golubevcg

Unread postby gjennings » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:15 am

You're welcome ! Glad it worked
Greg
gjennings

Return to General Discussion