Isotropix Forums

Camera resolution gate and overscan in 3d viewer

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Camera resolution gate and overscan in 3d viewer

Unread postby calincasian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Hey,

Is it possible to have the camera/render resolution gate as an overlay in my 3d viewer, better yet can I do an overscan on that camera too?
I'm doing some set dressing that's camera dependent and I found myself forgetting parts of the set because of different aspect ratio of the viewer vs. render resolution. Here's my current workflow.
I have one viewer free perspective to tumble around and I have another view locked on my camera with progressive rendering and a shading layer that applies a default material to all surfaces and a volume material to all volumes. This way I can judge the lighting only and the progressive rendering is fast since I don't have to load textures and such.
It would be nice to have masks and overlays for the camera viewer only.

cheers
calin
calincasian

Re: Camera resolution gate and overscan in 3d viewer

Unread postby vandam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm

You could import (or even create within Clarisse) an opening with desired ratio, make it unseen by the rays and parent it to the camera.
Best regards
Lucas
Last edited by vandam on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vandam

Unread postby mdkai » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 am

Hi
alternatively just load a FG mask in the 3D view with alpha. This will only show in the viewport but not render at all.
Plus it can now be loaded as any regular texture including animation.

Make sure camera aperture ratio is equal to the image ratio. Set it to remap (for the camera and the FG image).

Here is an example:
screenmask.jpg

Overscan can not be displayed inside the 3D viewport (only image render) because overscan is part of an image or image layer property.
You could request this feature however, if the display selection mode is set to "Image"...

Cheers
Kai
mdkai

Unread postby calincasian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:38 am

thank you Lucas and Kai for your suggestions, bot valid and I'll have to try both and see which one suits me better. I still believe having it built into the app, like pretty much every other major one, would be the best way.

cheers
calin
calincasian

Unread postby mdkai » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am

I'm not sure I understand your problem, you can see the overscan area in the regular render image view. It is not much different to progressive view in the 3d view. Set it up with the same material override or set the overall percentage of the quality sampler to 5 or 10% for faster response.

Again overscan is not a property in the camera but the image and image layer. As they can vary there would be multiple ones to choose from.

But if you like to see a camera aperture region with overscan you can request it in the feature tracker ;)
mdkai

Unread postby vandam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am

What Kai said - keep in mind that in Clarisse you can work directly inside the image view, Clarisse is unique in this way. You are not limited to the 3d view.

Cheers
vandam

Unread postby esmith » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

A more advanced camera overlay in our 3d view is something we'd like as well. In the meantime these workarounds work well. I haven't done this yet, but a few custom overlay textures and preset cameras of various types is something that could be built into it's own project, which is referenced by your default starting template. It would take a bit of setup, but done once, it would be done forever.
esmith

Unread postby mdkai » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm

It's also very nice if you use a script to add guides for example..goldencut, lines grids ..just add them in the FG or BG element...
mdkai

Return to General Discussion