Isotropix Forums

Octane plugin/addon/export in Clarisse

General Discussion about Isotropix and CG related topics

Octane plugin/addon/export in Clarisse

Unread postby kirkr22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am

I dream about it. I know that will never happen but I would definitely buy an ugrade/plugin/ proper export supporting it. Whoever would provide. I bet 11Gb of a video card + Octane is able to use system ram too actually would be pretty enough for my tasks.

Right now I am tearing apart in between Clarisse and Octane. Clarisse has so many super convenient tools and scattering techniques. I like interface. I like nodes. I absolutely love the viewport able to work with gazillion of instances even without proxies.
But the render time is forever comparing to Octane on my 4 core cpu with only marginal quality difference in some complicated materials I would never use anyway due to calculation time. Alembic export is still a huge pain in the ... and not working with Octane directly.

I'd love we could export alembic readable by Octane properly, writing special Octane properties maybe, or just straight away orbx files like my BlenderOctane version does.
kirkr22

Re: Octane plugin/addon/export in Clarisse

Unread postby anemoff » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi,

Could you give us more details about the issues in Octane with the Alembics exported by Clarisse?

Thanks,
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby kirkr22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:30 pm

If I try to open abc directly with scattered object saved as geometry Octane shows them just as simplespheres. I don't know why

But anyway I'd like to render a huge amount of instanced geometry. Octane I guess writes something into abs to see those objects as instances with plugins it sells. They did such plugins for a number of obscure 3d soft but not for Clarisse unfortunately.

And I have to first open Clarisse abc in somethnig like 3dmax or Blender, the soft I use and then replace all the boxes to certain grass, bush . trees etc objects again to be then exported to Octane. It's very tedious job and I have to replace a lot usually, 30-40 objects, not just few. I so much love how easy the scattering works in Clarisse and can't tolerate doing it anywhere else.

I wish Clarisse export fbx maybe.I think It supports instances out of a box.

I wish we would have Clarisse Octane plugin too. I understand the memory would still be a limit but for my tasks: baking distant game backgrounds into low poly shells it would still be enough probably with video cards available today. They are still cheaper then whole new Ryzen system. In Clarisse I even can't bake everything in one pass. In Octane I can
kirkr22

Unread postby anemoff » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm

kirkr22 wrote:If I try to open abc directly with scattered object saved as geometry Octane shows them just as simplespheres. I don't know why

That seems like a bug, it would help us if you report it with a minimal project that shows the issue.

kirkr22 wrote:And I have to first open Clarisse abc in somethnig like 3dmax or Blender, the soft I use and then replace all the boxes to certain grass, bush . trees etc objects again to be then exported to Octane

So, you mean that the exported Alembic file is not correct on other softwares too?

As for Octane plugin you need to contact them to request it.

Finally, regarding FBX, it won't be implemented in Clarisse.
Anthony Nemoff
Isotropix
R&D Engineer
anemoff

Unread postby kirkr22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:54 pm

anemoff wrote:So, you mean that the exported Alembic file is not correct on other softwares too?

I think it's a feature "instances as bounding boxes" The way to replace all the boxes with same name to a specific object?
Alembic doesn't support instances, right? I see "preserve instances" in 3dmax alembic export but it does nothing.

Maybe some other 3d format could?
kirkr22

Unread postby mdkai » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi
Alembic fully support instancing and de-duplication of data, if exported properly.
I doubt there is any format better suited then abc, with the exception of USD which is more an upper level format for entire scene descriptions.

3dsmax and Maya suffer both from old and outdated alembic export modules.. you have better options to use the exocortex plugin , which is far superior and offers proper abc export.
But even exocortex is a bit older and exists as open source plugin , meaning you need to find the correct compiled version in some boards , but they usually exist for win versions of both packages , linux is a different thing.

Cheers
Kai
mdkai

Unread postby kirkr22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 am

mdkai wrote:Hi
Alembic fully support instancing and de-duplication of data, if exported properly.
I doubt there is any format better suited then abc, with the exception of USD which is more an upper level format for entire scene descriptions.

3dsmax and Maya suffer both from old and outdated alembic export modules.. you have better options to use the exocortex plugin , which is far superior and offers proper abc export.
But even exocortex is a bit older and exists as open source plugin , meaning you need to find the correct compiled version in some boards , but they usually exist for win versions of both packages , linux is a different thing.

Cheers
Kai

Thanks mdkai. Does this open source plugin allows to import Clarisse abc with scattered instances staying instances in 3dsmax or Blender? I mean not each of such objects as unique one?

ps. I found some rumors that since Exocortex released the code as open source Blender devs were going to implement it . Still Blender 2.8 alembic can't import Clarisse instances as such one as either its own.

Have somebody managed to do it in any other soft?
kirkr22

Return to General Discussion